Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya folks, Maff coming Live from the Express By Holiday Inn - Bristol City Centre !

At 09:00 i was booked in to the Ultralase Bristol Clinic for the Ultra Lastek Plus.... The expensive one costing £2990 for both eyes.....! :eh

I had already had the free consoltation on the 20th Feb - this is a comprehensive test that takes over an hour, in this time there are lots of tests that are done

On arrival to the clinic you are welcomed by friendly staff, free tea/coffee & biscuits

Your met by the surgon & he runs a couple of tests (just read from a chart) & asks about any questions you have, he also talks you thru what he will be doing.

You run thru the consent forms, and ask the nurse any questions, number one was "will i go blind" the answer is no.....

They prep you up (mob cap, over shoes clean around the eyes etc) and talk you thru your after care eye drops, and how often they should be used. At this point i wasnt to bad.

Stepping into the theater.... oh no..... I lay on the bed, told to relax as they do the right eye first. your left eye is covered, and anasthetic drops are put into the right one.

At this point i was terrified

Now i will be honest, i was shitting it through the whole operation, from start to finish, despite being told to relax

Please dont read the next bit if your a bit squeemish.....

They fit a suction cup to the cornea of your eye, you need 10 seconds of DIRE consentration as the machine makes a cut & turns the cornea into a flap.

You dont blink, your eyes are totally numb, you are however aware that something is going on, and yes, there are much much better feelings in the world than this.

You focus on a red flashing dot within the machine, there is a buzz as the laser corrects your vision... it smells they say, of burning hair, i couldnt really smell feck all

5 mins, it was all over, now for the other eye....

its worse as you know what to expect.

now, after its over, expect your vision to be the same as it would in a night club with smoke machine. its cloudy, but you can see. i managed to walk from the theater to the rest room unguided.

After sitting in a dark room, the surgon sees you again, and checks everything within the eyes is ok. They fit contact lens which are removed on the 7 day return visit.

it was then on to the hotel, the hotel is booked because driving back to plymouth was a bit long & costly to come back again the next day.

they say that your eyes maybe uncomfortable for a few hours after....

I say, feels like not getting sleep for 40hrs, & walking into a smokey pub - your eyes sting, you want to close them.

You close your eyes, and they water lots, i found that after 2hrs of being closed i couldnt open them again, and when i did, i cryed more than at my grand-dad funeral

I've since had some more drops splashed in, these are anti-septic & anti inflamitory

I got out of the clinic at 10:30 - its now 5hrs after the op & my vision is starting to come back, its still a bit cloudy. I can see the 14" tv in the room ok, there is also a blue sign on one of the doors that says door to be kept locked shut when not in use. i cam make that out ok :D

The close up of the tft for the laptop is a bit hazy, i have to keep looking away for a few mins

I feel like i have a small peice of grit in my eyes, & have sleepy dust in them, i want to rub them, but can resist.

The verdict, will see tomoro, i have tried my glasses on, and it blurs everything so they are different!

please forgive the spelling mistakes, it is at the moment a bit tricky to see here at the moment!

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Sounds nasty, but probebly worth it in the long run. Its a shame hey cant just knock you out for the whole process.

·
Registered
610 Posts
They fit a suction cup to the cornea of your eye, you need 10 seconds of DIRE consentration as the machine makes a cut & turns the cornea into a flap.
I have seen it done on TV, and they peel the flap back (oo-urrr :p ) really puts me off :(

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I wear contact lenses and every year i have an argument with some young optician at Specsavers, they want to do the 'eyelid roll' and i won't let them - i hate having my eyes messed with - and they get in a huff and tell me they will stop my lenses if i don't although it hasn't come to that yet, so i don't think i could have that op.

·
Because...Race Car!
19,083 Posts
Well, I spoke to Maffeu earlier, he's in high spirits and is off for a curry in a bit..lol
However, he said there seems to be a stranger in the room when he looks in the mirror!!

Good on you Maffeu for having the guts to get it done!!

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Bugger the biscuits and tea, for £2990 I'd be wanting complimentary sook from the tidy nurses.... Anyways, get yerself way on the town. We stayed where you are when we did The World Tour of Britains pubs.... start in the Bay Horse (barmaid is called Anna IIRC) and then across to Yates' and finally head for The Works nightclub.... if yer lucky it'll be foam party night. then at 2am, back to the hotel for some more alcohol and drugs and to shag whatever you pulled in yer travels. Dinae worry about the eyes, likely she'll be a munter an ye'll no want to see her.... be like beer googles but cheaper.... in fact, at £3000 maybe no cheaper eh?

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Fair funks to you Matt :Cool2: Delighted to hear things went well mate. As someone who has worn corrective lenses since the age of 4 I was interested to hear how things went. What was you eye sight before the treatment?

·
I dont fear the Reaper, Reaper fears me
6,869 Posts
I would like to hav eyes sorted BUT its too damn expensive and thats just put me off lol...

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
mike_bristol83 said:
I would like to hav eyes sorted BUT its too damn expensive and thats just put me off lol...
You and me both then........:eh

Fair does though Maf, congrates on going through with it and keep us informed as to how the recovery goes :up:

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
Guts a lot of guts but it's like getting a new tattoo couple of hours of pain but worth it in the end :Cool2:

·
I dont fear the Reaper, Reaper fears me
6,869 Posts
tatto's i dont have but im fine with needles... but having your Eye sliced open...... No thanx, least not yet lol

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
24hrs after now & it feels great no having glasses anymore!

Left eye doesnt feel as strong as the right one, but we will be told that today once i've had the follow up appointment at 13:00

anymore laser adjustment will be included in price for upto a couple of weeks or something

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not really that painfull, just sort of "im really tired n wanna go sleep" feeling

looking forward to being able to wear shades :D

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Maffeu said:
not really that painfull, just sort of "im really tired n wanna go sleep" feeling

looking forward to being able to wear shades :D
I bet it feels realy strange not have the glasses on and being able to see!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts