Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here so bear with me on this.

I recently purchased a Vauxhall Meriva A 1.7DTI 2005 after changing from a Mazda 3 2.0 Petrol, as needed more space as have 2 kids and a dog now.

As stated above I'm currently dealing with lack of power and black smoke coming from the exhaust, the engine seems to run fine just when i floor the pedal it seems to not do much and a big puff of black smoke comes from the exhaust. I don't get black smoke if i keep the throttle to a minimum, its only when i really try to give it power or go up a hill it tends to puff out smoke. My first thought was a boost leak but the only place i could check was the inter-cooler hose as the turbo and other boost pipes are really hard to get to without taking half the front of the car off!

I have found a hole in my front flexi pipe too, could this have anything to do with it?!

The injectors seem to have some sort of black residue around them, could this be a contribution to this?!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this with this 1.7 DTI engine, so i know more where to look for the fault.

Also i must add that when it reaches 2500 and the turbo kicks in air starts to come through the vents and into the car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will suggest having a look at the inlet manifold it can't end up like mine I also did have lack of power black smoke and consumption went up. I cannot describe the satisfaction when i push the pedal and car Accelerate with clean full power;)
Hi thanks for the reply
I guess this could come down to the egr valve too, maybe my best course of action could be to give it all a clean out. Do you find this engine difficult to work with due to the very cramped space you have to work with or is it just me!!
I can only imagine your satisfaction lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes EGR too... I've done it copmlet. And about the engine my one is 1.9 and I was literally ON top of the engine to get some parts out from behind, it took approx. 10h. But I Blend the swirl flaps too (lots off issues)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes EGR too... I've done it copmlet. And about the engine my one is 1.9 and I was literally ON top of the engine to get some parts out from behind, it took approx. 10h. But I Blend the swirl flaps too (lots off issues)
I guess that's a job for this weekend, is there anything to recommend when cleaning the egr etc, as never had to do it, as mostly had petrol cars.
Thanks for the info though, hopefully this will resolve my issue!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dont know how is it on 1.7 but i had to take out diesel pump blocking the camshaft, take out fuel system, coolant out too, EGR out, inlet manifold out and take it apart and wash it in hot water + buy ENGINE CLEANING SPRAY (4pcs i'll need it ;)) by doing all that and taking the car apart I've changed cambelt water pump etc... if you want to save you some time I'll strongly recommend to do that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont know how is it on 1.7 but i had to take out diesel pump blocking the camshaft, take out fuel system, coolant out too, EGR out, inlet manifold out and take it apart and wash it in hot water + buy ENGINE CLEANING SPRAY (4pcs i'll need it ;)) by doing all that and taking the car apart I've changed cambelt water pump etc... if you want to save you some time I'll strongly recommend to do that too.
I noticed the egr is cooled by coolant too, so all the coolant will need to come out anyway, sounds like a 2 day job to me, there goes my weekend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts