Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently spent some time at a cottage in Wales which was at the end of an unsurfaced farm track. My 2.5 Omega CD (88K miles), when driving over the rougher bits of this track (just shallow potholes - not too rough), made a 'knocking' noise from underneath. It's fine on ordinary roads.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, what you describe definately sounds like the front wishbone bushes or the drop links, just had to do mine last weekend for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Phil, did you replace both wishbones and droplinks? if so has it cured the problem as I think I've got the same issues going on, only replaced driver's side droplink as shop only had one in stock, other one arrives during the week, alas to say changing the one droplink made no difference on mine and I expect changing the other one next weekend probably won't either! so wishbones next I think. where did you buy your wishbones from?
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, yes, I did both wishbones and both drop links together, it is now a very quiet and smooth drive! I did my wishbones last March as well, but like a complete muppet, I tightened up the wishbone bolts while the car was still on the axle stands and the wheels hanging down. Obviously as soon as I dropped the car onto the ground the bushes came under load, they lasted under 4,000 miles, don't make the same mistake! I got the wishbones off a friend in the trade, very, very, very, cheap :Cool2: .

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Cheers Mate, hopefully won't make that mistake, I can see a problem of tightening the damn things up to 88 lbft plus angle tightening as vauxhall recommends with wheels on the ground, did you torque them up with those settings? I also noticed that they say to tighten them with 70KG of weight on each seat!!
Cheers Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts