Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I have a 2016 Insignia 1.6 CdTi equipped with Fr 296 / Rr 292 mm rotors and an electronic e-brake. I've changed rotors and pads all around the vehicle recently. Fronts are super quiet, but the rears are the problem. While driving, if I hit a bump or pothole in the road there is a knocking or clunk noise coming from behind the wheel on both sides while the vehicle is coasting - as if something is loose. If I drive over the same pothole/bump with the brakes applied, it's all quiet and tracks straight - no noise at all. I've replaced the brake shims, guide pins and boots, re-torqued the caliper and carrier bolts and used anti-seize/grease where needed. Carrier and hub cleaned with wire brush. I re-wound the rear calipers with a basic wind-back tool. Any ideas as to what's causing the noise? The only thing I omitted were the rear rotor screws (old ones seized) as I did not have them while completing the job. Fronts weren't seized so reused.

Torque application: 100 Nm Carrier Bolts, 38 Nm Caliper Bolts, Wheel Nuts......really tight! :)

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Hello All! I have a 2016 Insignia 1.6 CdTi equipped with Fr 296 / Rr 292 mm rotors and an electronic e-brake. I've changed rotors and pads all around the vehicle recently. Fronts are super quiet, but the rears are the problem. While driving, if I hit a bump or pothole in the road there is a knocking or clunk noise coming from behind the wheel on both sides while the vehicle is coasting - as if something is loose. If I drive over the same pothole/bump with the brakes applied, it's all quiet and tracks straight - no noise at all. I've replaced the brake shims, guide pins and boots, re-torqued the caliper and carrier bolts and used anti-seize/grease where needed. Carrier and hub cleaned with wire brush. I re-wound the rear calipers with a basic wind-back tool. Any ideas as to what's causing the noise? The only thing I omitted were the rear rotor screws (old ones seized) as I did not have them while completing the job. Fronts weren't seized so reused.

Torque application: 100 Nm Carrier Bolts, 38 Nm Caliper Bolts, Wheel Nuts......really tight! :)
Was this ok previously before the brake change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, all was good prior to the brake job. No noise or knocking other than some brake squeal which prompted the brake job. Upon removal of the rear pads, I noted the following pad life remaining: RR Pads 0% Inner / 30% Outer. LR Pads 10% Inner / 30% Outer. Pads/Rotors are 14 mths old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ears of the pads were very snug when fitted for both sides. After a road test, I removed the tyre from one side and tried to see what was moving. Only the rotor was able to be moved back and forth due to no rotor screws. All else was pretty tight. Could the guide pins be faulty? Admittedly, they are from eBay! :cautious:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update....I took everything apart again. Recleaned the hub and mounted the rotor again and reinstalled everything all the way back up to pads/caliper. Re-torqued everything again. I tried moving the pads while in the caliper and while mounted in the carrier, no obvious movement at all. Caliper has very, very little movement side to side once fully mounted. Same problem persists. I'm beginning to suspect that this knocking is caused by something else....any ideas what else could be wrong? Wheel glides freely when off the ground and car has 66k miles on it. Never had suspension work done on it before.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Suspension Springs are prone to braking on these. Also check the shock absorbers and pray it’s not a flexiride or self levelling shock that needs replacing lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Springs are ok. Definitely not a flexiride or self-levelling system....just a basic Vauxhall! 😆 The shocks seem ok but will have a proper look and report back. Many thanks for the replies so far everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem Solved! My own stupidity..but here's what happened. I bought rear guide pin kits off eBay.....all looked fine. Long story short - I bought the standard 75mm x 8mm guide pins. I'm the lucky Vauxhall owner with apparently rare 75mm x 10mm guide pins with each lower pin having a friction sleeve for each caliper. I cleaned and reused the old guide pins and boots (not torn) as I did not have new replacements available, and noise is gone! Geez...what a mess I made. Thanks for all the help everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts