Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could help...
Bought a 2008 Meriva 1.3cdti at the weekend following the timely end of our Zafira's working life (needed a new clutch).
Didnt notice anything when test driving Meriva, but have since noticed a knocking noise when braking, but only in second gear. Seems to increase as clutch pedal is moved (coming from 3rd to 2nd, and 2nd to first) and does not knock when braking only.
Spoke to seller who drove it, thought it might be a loose caliper on front right. Have since had it looked at by another garage who drove it, looked very puzzled, and put it up on the lift. Underside inspection showed little other than the gearbox mount bush has disappered (possible causes at there is now some movement).
If it is due to this bush missing, then should be a quick(ish) fix and away we go... but I'm puzzled as to why it only knocks in second gear! Surely if it was due to something being loose it would knock whenever strain was put on it.

Anybody else faced this before?

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
Sounds like gearbox mount is the cause especially as it happens when clutch pedal is moved .

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
Hope so! Will speak to seller, told me to go back if I wasn't happy so will get it sorted through him.

Many thanks!
Gearbox mounts & engine mounts can give all sorts of different sounds when gone . When Renault Scenic engine mounts start to fail it makes you think the engines miss firing lol , new mounts & all is smooth again .

Reactions: andy_v
1 - 5 of 5 Posts