Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Roving about
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be a pest, but......

When I go over a pothole or small bump, I'm getting a knock from the n/s front wheel. Sounds metallic.

Any ideas as to the prob? I searched the old posts to see if someone else had a similar fault, but could only find knocks when on full lock. My knock happens regardless of wheel position.

The car is going into the garage on Thursday for a general check over anyway. It's a new car (to me) so gotta be safe with having the baby in the car. Don't want a wheel falling off on the (oh so exciting) Tesco run!:Cool2:

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the track rod end. Like a loud click if you go up a kerb or something?
On the ground, if you shake the roadwheel side to side, should feel play. Can jack it up and shake it while watching it.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Anti roll bar link, wishbone bush are the things I would look at first, hopefully many would agree.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
that what the site is for mate!:Cool2:

there are a few things it could be, but as it happens when you go over a bump im starting with

anti roll bar link (very common breakage and cheap as chips) or a
broken spring

you can check for both of the above by having a look behind the n/s wheel.
check the ARB link, should be bolted into the wishbone, but frequenty sheer off.
check the spring in the spring seat for bits broken off the end, and at the top (you may need to jack up the car to do this (with suport)

check the above first. if they are ok

look at the track rod ends (is there any free play in them)
and perhaps the ball joint, and wishbone bushes

does the car wander about on the road at all, like pull from side to side?

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
CallyT said:
Sounds like the track rod end. Like a loud click if you go up a kerb or something?
On the ground, if you shake the roadwheel side to side, should feel play. Can jack it up and shake it while watching it.
any significant play in the road wheel is more evidence of a wheel bearing tho rly.

C

·
0 Posts
stuart002 said:
any significant play in the road wheel is more evidence of a wheel bearing tho rly.
Not in any of the 8 cavs and 1 calibra I've owned, or any I've mot'd, but I won't argue.

C

·
0 Posts
stuart002 said:
as posted above, DOH! sorry mate.
Lol :Cool2:

Thing with this sort of thread is we can all make educated guesses, but that's all they will be - guesses.
Without grabbing the wheel and moving top and bottom, side to side, you just won't know what's at fault 100%.
Gotta get your hands dirty.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
your right that is all you can do. its like phoning the doctor and saying

"i feel crap what is wrong with me"?

·
Roving about
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stuart002 said:
does the car wander about on the road at all, like pull from side to side?
Hi Stuart, no, all seems fine apart from the knock. I'll wiggle the wheel around when it's light & see what I can see!

Is there a forum on this site for 'when things go wrong'? I've got some crackers from the last few days!

Today's 2 are:

1) The LS came with a small hole in the o/s headlight, & the o/s indicator was full of water. I decided to swap the lights from the GL, so after an hour or so, I'm about to put the grille back onto the GL, when it won't fit.
Didn't realise that the new car is a 'facelift' & the old one isn't. everything back off & back as they were before I started:grrr

2) Took off the steering column shroud to check out the column fixings. Dropped the top section onto the ground & promptly snapped off the tab for fastening it to the bottom section! Why did it have to land on the bloody tab??

Scrap yard here I come!

Thanks to all for your help so far! Just thought I'd give you a laugh at my stupidity! :Cool2:

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
hmm, was thinking alon the lines of rear wishbone bushes, thats y i asked. when you jack the car up, have a lever (with a breaker bar or euivelant) at the ball joint, track rod end, and the rear wishbone bushes. when levering the track rod end, be careful not to catch the ruber tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts