Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the remote key fob on my astra 1.6 8v 2002 has stopped working,i have changed the battery and re set it with the ignition on but it only works for about 2 days any ideas....the other key fob my wife uses is fine...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks will give it a go,even tho the car wont lock/unlock the red light illuminates when button pressed so thought that might rule out bad connection....gazza

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
thanks will give it a go,even tho the car wont lock/unlock the red light illuminates when button pressed so thought that might rule out bad connection....gazza
Perhaps with a broken connection the red LED might well illuminate (pressing the button might close the broken connection. I suppose on the other hand it might open it up - haven't looked at the dynamics of the thing that well!), but if the connection is intermittent the signal might be full of glitches and consequently fail to unlock the car. Just a thought so might be well of the mark.

But having had two cars with broken battery holder connection to the circuit board, I'd go for that first. With my latest car I had this illusion that Vauxhall might have sorted the problem - silly boy, of course they haven't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys have put packing piece inside key and seems to be ok for now, will see if it lasts for a few days as before i was lucky if it lasted 2 days...cheers gazza

·
Registered
57 Posts
if it works it may be a very quick soldering job and not need a new fob ££££

I repair circuit boards all the time at work so it can be done

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
What appears to happen is that the battery terminal metalwork breaks. The terminal - broken off - end to the circuit board soldering seems to remain intact. The breakage is occasioned by a repeaded slight rocking movement between the circiut board and battery holder every time a button is pressed. Basically poor design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts