Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vectra SRI 98 model. I have just bought this car and when i got it the key fob was broken. I have since bought a second hand one thinking i could re-program this. As yet i have had no luck doing this. What i have done so far is... with drivers door open turn ingnition on till the light on dash come on then press and hold one of the buttons down. Only thing that happens when i do this is that traffic master comes on and tell me it has expired and gives me a phone number to call and the fob still will not open or close the locking.

I hope someone out there can help me with what i have to do to get this to work.

Stevie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Stevie.
According to my owners manual, the process for programming a remote key fob is as follows:
Switch on ignition; system will remain in programming mode for 30 secs.
Briefly press any button on the remote unit while in the ignition.
The central locking system locks and unlocks to show that the remote has been programmed.
My Vectra is a 1.8 LS but i would imagine that the process is basically the same. Hope this helps.
Daz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My owners manual says the same. Just been out to try this and still have no luck.. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The instructions above i.e key in ignition and press buttons will only re-syc a fob that is already coded to the car, and NOT re-program it. Re-programming will require tech 2. However, if the insides of your old fob are not damaged, (you didn't say whether the workings themselves are broken or just the fob casing) it is possible to replace the insides of the new fob with the old one, thus leaving you with a fob already coded to the car which will just need re-syncing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery holder has broke off from old circut board. I could maybe fix it if i had a soldering iron.

What is tech2?..... is that something that has to be done at the dealers?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well worth a try mate in my opinion! - cost of soldering iron....£5, cost of reprogramming....couple of £5's LOL
Tech2 is the computer system that is plugged into the car to read faults, and also to reset the ecu etc after having a fault repaired.
Tech2 doesn't necessarily have to be done at the dealer...many independant garages have the same or similar system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok last thing. Does anyone know where i could buy a new battery for the old fob?. This would life a little easier.

·
Registered
240 Posts
should be able to get a battery at just about anywhere...the battery in mine is a CR2032, roughly the size of a 10p piece, and I got it from Tescos...failing that, any halfords or similar shop would have one

·
Registered
240 Posts
Can't help there mate...How good are you with a soldering iron?? Could try unsoldering the battery holder from the new fob??...That's what I would do, but then I am a Scrooge !!! LOL May also be worth your while ringing round a few of your local garages and find out about re-programming your new fob? I'm sure I read on here somewhere that it only costs about £15 - £20 to have it done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think it is the scottish thing that makes us scrooges....think i will get a soldering iron and save the money........lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
LOL good for you Stevie !! Let us know how you get on mate....and by the way, I'm not Scottish, I'm Welsh, but that don't stop me looking after the pennies LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welsh-Scottish.. same thing we are all just as tight with our money and like a devy or 2.....LOL. Oh will be doing the soldering tomorrow night i hope so will let you know how it go's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok i give up........ Taking it to dealers... My parents know a guy that works there and he is going to have a look at it and see if he can help.... Will post if i get it fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the update for this one............ Had to do put on Tech 2 to get it reprogramed..... The good news is my local garage done it for me for NOTHING...... woo hooo bargin. Pay to know the owner sometimes i guess....lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts