Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its finally time that I start considering rebuilding K917AJA
I've had her for 10years in August and she has done 270,000miles with absolutely no problems what so ever. Original clutch went at 180,000miles, at which point I had the head off too and port and polished.
The only mods I really did on her were lowered 60mm as soon as I got her an 16" alloys put on (the original alloys were taken off at the first tyre change, so are imaculate). Plus grooved and drilled disks an scorpion exhaust (K&N was fitted but never ran right, so removed). I used to have a HUGE sound system in there but for daily riving i missed the boot space more.

I have a few idea that are efinately going to make it onto the car.

1, Engine - I had considered many engine options. Rebuid original redtop, 3.0 V6, LS1 and rebuilding original redtop as a turbo (and right up a how2). I wanted an engine that you dont see in every other vauxhall, which is why I considered the LS1, but after going down to see Pete who has put the LS1 into his Astra, and seen the amount of time and effort that has gone into that I have decied against it. I have finally opted for a CDTi V6 (or 1.9 CDTi, depending how easy the engines are t get hold of). Why you may ask, well, how many diesel Calibras do you know of? and how many V6 turbo Calibras do you know of? Plus its also to be me daily driver and with 225bhp+ easily manageable.....

2, Body - Considered lopping the top of, but I love the shape of the Calibra too much, so am stuck on either a targa or t-bar (which ever is easiest). Bodykit wise I actually prefer the totally original kit, but would love some flaired arches, a-la RS4/6

3, Interior - Seats retrimmed in half leather and half suede (leather seats, cold in winter, scalding in summer) and maybe suede dash board. Want retro fitted A/C if possible

This is going to be the recipricant of the rebuilt Redtop.

And this is chugging me round at the mo.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5630/picture003qb1.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,307 Posts
what a nice idea and i like the fluffy steering wheel

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
You have got a lot of work there . Good luck with it .

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I don't envy you sorting out the wiring/engine management to put a CDTi in a Calibra lol! Will be a mission but defo worth it for the finished product. Best of luck with it, I'll be keeping an eye on what looks like a great project. :Cool2:

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers
Pretty much made me mind up bout the diesel, only concerns I have is actually getting hold of one with all ancillarys and then im worried about security. such as the ecu wont work unless you have the original key etc.
I just really dont wanna do what every other man and his dog does.
Want a vauxhall colour for teh respray too, but not sopmething that doesnt appear on another standard calibra. who knows what a rare colour is? and what did it come on?

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont see why not, Petes put a LS1 into an Astra. the signum came with the ecotech engine (which also went onto the calibra) and also the cdti, so I guess theyll fit. if not, ill make it!

·
Jeff fa faaa
8,454 Posts

·
22,199 Posts
I dont see why not, Petes put a LS1 into an Astra. the signum came with the ecotech engine (which also went onto the calibra) and also the cdti, so I guess theyll fit. if not, ill make it!
But there is an entire world of difference between the 2.0 'Ecotec' in the Calibra any of Today's latest engines wearing the monica...the technology for a start...the Calibra is highly primitive in comparison.

·
22,199 Posts
Yeap :Cool2:
theres a calibra with a 1.7 diesel lump in it..
Aye i know that Chris, seen two of them...but he is after slinging a CDTi in a Calibra...its not just the fuel issue i was referring too, more the whole electrical technology of it.

·
Jeff fa faaa
8,454 Posts
Aye i know that Chris, seen two of them...but he is after slinging a CDTi in a Calibra...its not just the fuel issue i was referring too, more the whole electrical technology of it.
you'd be amazed :cool: just be a case of stripping the engine loom outta of the calibra and swapping it with the cdti,plus ecu etc.adjust the rest of the loom accordingly,be a complete pig to do i know,with a lot of trial and error,but i can't see any reason why it can't be done tbh.

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what concerns me the most about the engine swap, the electronics, and especially all teh security and imobilisers. Am hoping to find a written off Signum or Vectra that I have access to all teh bits.
Theoretically if i have a signum or vectra that teh engine worked in, i should have all teh bits to make it work in a calibra?

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
i see its been sitting a while for a moldy steering wheel :lmao:

for a later vectra/signum setup your going to have to make new areas for engine mounts as theyve moved higher up the engine/onto of the gearbox and what about the CAN-BUS electrical setup which is fitted to above cars

will be cool tho, something different in a calibra

as for these 1.7 diesel Calibra's, does anyone have short cuts, im curious now :lmao:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts