Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few days ago my van (51 reg astra van sport 1.7DTi) stopped running. caughed and spluttered, would run, then stop running, flip to "limp home" all the lights on the dash came up, nightmare!
took it to VX told me i needed a new fuel managment ecu (apparently this one is separate from the ecu that does everything else...:eh ) and the nice man said looking at £600 to replace. needless to say, i showed the man at VX my dinkle and ran away as fast as i could. Once i had caught my breath, i went to my local garage and he said that he would make some enquiries... he phoned me back a bit later and said that the fuel ecu can get dry joints on the circuit board, and he said he would remove it so that i could have a look at it. So i took it apart by taking a stanley to the rubber/silicone seal around the back plate and opened it up. to my horror and supprise, he was right! i spotted several dry joints and blackening from the huge amounts of arcing going on in there! I took the unit to my mates parents electronics repair shop (SCAN electronics, kingswood, kent) and they found something like 8 dry joints. they soldered them all back up for me. i took the unit back to the garage, the nice man fired it back in the van, and he presto....started first time! we left it running for 15 mins and didn't stall once!!!

so morel of the story is...STAY AWAY FROM MAIN DEALERS!!!!!!

thank you!

tom

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
'the fuel ecu can get dry joints on the circuit board'. Not uncommon, as far as I'm aware. Had some on a previous vehicle. The only trouble was the coating they cover the P.C.B. with. Had to get through that before soldering proper could begin. I might add I'm of the view that the quality of the original soldering on car bits is something to be desired. Also tend to think a lot of electronic bits get replaced (££££) for a dry joint or two. I think you will find that television sets also tend to have their fair share - all that heat causing expansion and contraction, not forgetting vibration from the speaker!

·
6,336 Posts
... dry joints is a common problem on the Immobiliser ECU too :up: ... I fixed mine and contributed pictures to the How2 that DavesCavCDX/ Ian/ me wrote

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.