Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 1992 carlton diplomat 2.6, to replace my ageing cav TD. I only paid £250 fot it with 9 months MOT so I'm dead chuffed. The engine and gearbox etc seem fine, but I am planning to give it a service this weekend.

I was planning to : CHange engine oil, renew auto transmission fluid, change spark plugs, and change air filter. Can anyone recommend anything else I should look at?

I really dont know much about this engine - can anyone confirm whether it is timing belt or chain, and if its a belt how difficult a job is it to change?

Thanks guys

Richard

L

·
0 Posts
Excellent choice of car. :)

The 2.6 "dual ram" engine is a good lump and generally very very reliable.
It has a chain, and as long as regular oil changes are followed, will last a very long time.
Don't think about changing it! ;)

You are choosing the right things to look at. Give the autobox filter a good clean when you change the fluid and the box will last forever.

Remember to look at the distirbutor cap and rotor arm (ah the joy of simplicity!) for signs of excessive wear and possible cracks.

If the HT leads are stiff, replace them.

While you have the inlet off (necessary to change plugs) give the whole lot a real good clean with a can of carb cleaner or 2.

Enjoy the car. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I love the car already - silky smooth, and I couldnt believe how much power when I put my foot down. The cruise control doesnt work which is a bit of a pain, but I've heard theres a relay or something which is usually to blame so I'll try changing that.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Lol, working Carlton cruise control modules are like Hens teeth.

If your good with a soldering iron then open it up and re-solder all the joints.

Good old buses Carltons....

·
Registered
50 Posts
the electrolyte capacitors are known to cause them to stop working. There are 4 of them grouped together. (Filters the switching signal from indicator stick) Cant remember exactly been a few years since doing any work on cruise units for the Carlton

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
god this is really embaressing... for some reason my carlton ahas decided it wont let me in!!!! the boot will unlock, but the key wont seem to work in the doors at all - it jiust wont move!!! Has anyone got any ideas how i can sort this out????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts