Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my key wont turn my ignition over tryed with wd40 to loosen it but still cant turn it, desperately need to use the car this week.
if i snap off the barrel will i be able to start the car using a screwdiver i know this is extreme but have done this with a mk11 cavi before till i got the barrel fixed does it still work with the mk111..

or can anyone think of a better method as i'm fooked without the car..:shame:

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
yeah it sounds like your ignition barrel has died.
you can remove the barrel and start the car with something in the ignition switch... but you have to get the barrel off first.

to remove it:
remove the steering column shroud (2 screws on front, 3 underneath) and unscrew the steering wheel tilt adjuster knob if you have one.
from the top of the steering column you will see 2 shear bolts that hold the ignition barrel on - remove these. i used a 4.5mm socket as i dont have the proper tool.
to separate the barrel from the switch, you need to undo a little brass grub screw with a small screwdriver. when this is out, pull the switch away from the barrel.

i think you are supposed to have to turn the key 1 click to do this but i have done it without doing that before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will that stop the steering lock coming on once the locks off..?

cheers will give it a try, was going to try vauxhall but i know they would shaft me..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts