Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the jobs to do is changing the ATF so I need the car in the air and level. Thus far I have only lifted one end or tother. I have a pair of ramps, 4 axle stands and a small trolley jack. I understand you can't jack under the diff.
How do I do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Funny that, I was wondering a similar thing today....Couldn't figure it out either....In the end I got away with doing just one side......The manual suggests, axle stands on the jacking point, but then where does one jack? Must be having a blonde moment...

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
There are side covers on the Omega on the skirting, these pop off and you have access to your jacking points. You can only lift the car one side at a time get the axle stand under it then do the other side. The casing for the diff isn't strong enough for the job, however I have jacked up on it before.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mr Haynes says; "To raise the front of the vehicle, position the jack head underneath the braced underbody section situated next to the vehicle jack location point. To raise the rear of the vehicle, position the jack head underneath the rear suspension subframe mounting. Always position a block of wood between the jack head and underbody to prevent damage.

With the vehicle at the correct height, unclip the plastic access cover from the sill trim panel and support the vehicle on an axle stand positioned directly underneath the vehicle jack point. To protect the sill. position a block of wood with groove cut into it, on the jack head and locate the sill seam in the grove, this will help spread the load, and prevent the sill from being damaged."

hope this helps :Cool2:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I do as Mr Haynes says, the trolley jack is in the way of putting the axle stands under jacking points. Jacking under the jacking points and then axle stand under the chassis works at the front but at the rear they still get in the way of one another

R

·
0 Posts
I better say it before someone else does, but a 4 poster ramp in your back garden would be handy. I know this doesn't help, but it just had to be said.:Cool2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
agkq62 said:
If I do as Mr Haynes says, the trolley jack is in the way of putting the axle stands under jacking points. Jacking under the jacking points and then axle stand under the chassis works at the front but at the rear they still get in the way of one another
Exactly my experience! I can't believe we are the only ones hitting this 'problem' but it seems like it...Although mine got in the way on the front as well....I ended up jacking carefully from the front so I could place the axle stands, but it didn't feel right....

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I don't find the front a problem. There's a good solid part of the chassis just behind the jacking point. I put a block of wood on this and jack with a trolley jack. This is where your tyre fitters will be jacking the car with their trolley jacks.

You can then get axle stands on the chassis rails which run front to back of the car and are a little further under.

·
Registered
219 Posts
f1ack2 said:
I couldn't be without my two poster ramps!!:bananasmi It makes life so much easier!!
I've never used those before, out of interest....how you make them stop moving forward (or backwards if you like) when driving on them? Where ever they sell them they have so little info on them.....Do you know where I could get some that are suitable for upto 265 tyres and 3 tonne? Yeah, my old Omega has only got 205's, but my wife has got a typical South-East school bus :lmao:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got my ones from eBay, in a workshop clearance. They lift the car up by the chasis, so you just swing the arms under to the jacking points and up you go. My ones are 2.5 Tonnes, however you can get bigger. I paid £190 for mine but they are 15 years old. Also for most of them you need 3 phase power.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lol :shame: And there was me thinking you were talking about those drive on wheel ramps......My boss will never allow me to put those in our garage....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts