Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've just brought a 1.6 petrol zaffy a 54 plate. And it smokes like crazy ( white smoke ) but after a while it will clear to almost gone. the oil level is ok it does smell a little of fuel the water is good. And the plugs are sooty and number 1 is wet and the piston top is wet and shiny.
I've got a new MAF Sensor, new MAP Sensor and new Plugs. I've cleared the misfire codes. Is there anything else I can do before putting the new Plugs in and f*kin them up.
Please help need the family car on the road before the new edition arrives

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get a compression test done. Sounds like perhaps it's not firing on number 1 cylinder. Un burnt fuel hence the wet piston (how can you see this?). Could be valves or head gasket. If compressions are not equal the engine will need a strip down to investigate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a compression test done. Sounds like perhaps it's not firing on number 1 cylinder. Un burnt fuel hence the wet piston (how can you see this?). Could be valves or head gasket. If compressions are not equal the engine will need a strip down to investigate.
I put a set of old plugs from my polo and it ran perfect on all 4 cylinders no miss but still smoked bad. I took the plugs out and n°1 was wet again. I can see that the piston is wet buy shining light down plug hole 1 and it's easy to see it's wet, over fuelling. I've got new parts but don't wanna ruin them in the first run.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You got an inline HT tester to stick on no.1? Or can you confirm there's a spark on that pot? Unburnt fuel on that cylinder will do it no good; washes the oil off the

·
Premium Member
16,258 Posts
White smoke is probably coolant burning. I know you say it's not using coolant but how many miles have you done to come to this conclusion? Possibly the head gasket leaking which will cause a miss fire and the smoke you describe but knowing the z16xe engine very well and having sooty plugs I wouldnt be surprised if the stem seals and/or rings are sticking. It's mega common on this engine. It's also known to cause miss fires as the plugs foul up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to get a compression test on Tuesday. Which fuse is it to switch off the fuel pump or ignition to stop the engine from firing up on the test.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts