Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after over two years of trouble free motoring my Granada finally had a problem last Thursday and left me stranded on the way home from work.

Driving along the M55 on Thursday afternoon the car started losing speed but the engine revs started to rise. I coasted to a stop on the hard shoulder and got out and noticed a small pool of oil under the front of the car. I opened the bonnet to find one of the pipes had come off the transmission oil cooler, causing it to spew half of the transmission fluid directly onto my passenger-side front wheel.

I called the RAC out and when he got there he said he could reconnect the pipe but as they don't carry large quantities of transmission fluid around with them he'd have to get a low-loader out to get me home. Waited just over an hour for the low-loader to arrive and got trucked home ok.

On Friday I reconnected the pipe (making sure it was on tightly this time) and put in 4 and a half litres of transmission oil and started her up. Ran the engine for a few minutes and checked the dipstick - just on the 'Max' mark - then tried the gearbox - all working ok. Very chuffed with that because if you run an autobox with no fluid in you can very quickly ruin them. Took the car out for a test-drive and the gearbox was working fine. Sweet.

Unfortunately, though, because the transmission fluid was squirted all over the front wheel when the pipe came off the brake pads were totally saturated with it so they needed to be changed. As I don't have all the gear at home to change them (and also because I couldn't be arsed tbh) I pottered down to Quick Fit and they supplied and fitted new pads on the front for £58 which I thought was quite reasonable really.:Cool2:

·
Likes this.
11,152 Posts
See, Fords are sh*t.

Can't complain at that though can you? I've had to call the AA out at least four times since I bought the cavalier in August 2001. And that's not including the seven weeks it was off the road last summer with stupid electrical issues and countless EM lights with f*cked sensors :lmao:

·
22,199 Posts
Im sure it brings warm glow to the heart's of the Cav & Cally 4x4 owner's on here to learn that they are not alone with cars that spray transmission fluid all over the shop ;) ;)

4.5 litres?...is that not a very large ammount...i didnt think they took that much?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Steve - Can't really call it a breakdown because there wasn't actually a mechanical or electrical fault, just a pipe had come off. Technically, that's the same as a radiator hose coming adrift or getting a puncture and having no spare wheel.

@MadOnVaux - the owners handbook doesn't specify the transmission fluid quantities, but the 'Haynes Book Of Automotive Fables and Lies' states it should take 8.5 litres... :eh

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
at least it isn't fecked :D

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Great (cheap) cars Granadas/Scorpios. I will own another one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts