Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Could someone help me out with more ideas!!
Started off with the usual rough running, cutting out, slow acceleration......the usual.
Changed the Idle Control Valve, changed the Throttle position sensor. Took the lambda off and there was quite a lot of black sooty stuff, fairly new because it came off very easy with carb cleaner, checked all the hoses/pipes etc. Started it up after the new TPS, very hard to start, foot on the floor, terrible petrol smell petrol, black smoke for a minute out of the exhaust, revs shooting up to 2000, changed gears (its an automatic) revs up and down.......its now doing my brain in!! Do you think the MAP could need changing? Its the strong petrol/black smoke thats getting me!!
Sorry its a long thread, but think I have covered everything in one go.
Tks
Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
dont the throttle position sensors have to be adjusted / calibrated before being put on? brand new ones anyway

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi , sounds simular to the problems i had with my tigra , have you tried the spark leads and coil pack ? both of mine were knackerd after changing them it has run like new ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TPS calabrated! how the hell do you do that??
I have done a few things already, the first was replacing the idle control valve (it went to about 80% of what it was at the start). Then I blanked off the EGR valve (it went to about 98% of what it was at the start), after blanking off the EGR it was really good, lots of acceleration etc, was like that for a week then all of a sudden it went back to the beginning again. The other day I changed the TPS and it actually got worse, ordered a new MAP, will change that then the lembda/coolant temperature sensor/crankcase sensor. After that I think I will chuck the car away.....!!
TC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MAP sensor arr this am. changed it over and at least it started up, but very very lumpy and still smells strongly of petrol????
Sorry, its a 1997 1.4i auto only done 40000 miles.
What sensor do you think next ladies and gents.........think I will go for lambda sensor and crankcase sensor. I
ncluding first diognostic test its up to £200. how much more???
TC

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Depending on what the engine type is but it sounds like a MAP sensor fault need the engine code as there are 4 or 5 different engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine is 14sz. Got the right MAP same code number......thats why I was wondering if it could be another sensor........the way it runs I am 90% sure it is something to with the mixture setting........the bloke at vauxhall said it could be the crankcase sensor........that tells the ecu/map what mixture is needed?????? He could be talking out of bum though!!
TC

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Did you check the rubber pipe the map sensor uses? a split or blockage will cause it to run like crap too. Crank sensor could be at fault but it doesnt do what he said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
cars with a faulty crank usually just wont start... TPS calibration is in regard to the voltage range as in the voltage at open and voltage at close.
As Fire26662 said, check for any vacuum leaks and what not, also, what make is the lambda? a cheap crappy lambda can cause just as much problems as a faulty one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No work on the car today........bl**dy rain!!
Lambda not changed yet, just took it out and cleaned.....full of black sooty stuff, came off quite easy though. Map rubber pipe all ok. When it eventually started yesterday (after new map), very lumpy, after I kept it going the revs were idling at 1200-2000, as I changed the auto gears the revs were up and down, near cutting out then picked up and shot up to around 2500 revs. Its been going on for about 3 weeks now and am getting quite fed up with it!!......what would a nice Astra 1600 57/58 plate be like???
TC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts