Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set about replacing my timing belt today. Stripped it all down and undid the tensioner center bolt and thought that's a bit loose. If you look at the tensioner it's got a mounting hole at the bottom.

So I thought some numpty had left the bolt out. :eh
I spent half an hour finding and cutting down a bolt to fit, put the new belt on etc, but when I came to refit the engine mounting to the block the bottom bolt wouldn't go in. Turns out the engine mounting bolt goes through the lower pivot in the tensioner :rolleyes:

Are your tensioners like this. It's totally different to the Haynes book of lies.

All is fine now though :lmao:

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Thats how they are- funny one isn't it!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Mine was a 92?

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
mine has a bolt in , a few of my mates have had cav tds & the 94 - 95 models always seemed to have no bolt , why do they have to change things anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Thats manufacturers for you- mine had been apart before for a new head but think the engine was original. Put it in my brothers Corsa when the Cav was written off, went like a twat in that!

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for the later Isuzus, you need to put the lower engine mounting bolt back or preferably a shorter bolt with washers to get a proper tension on the belt :rolleyes:

If you put the engine mounting back on to tension it you have to put the lower cover on first and then you can't see the belt as you turn it :grrr

Just seems a stupid design to me.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Leave the bolt in while you tension it up then lock the tensioner bolt up tight before removing the bolt and refitting the mount

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigdrifter said:
Leave the bolt in while you tension it up then lock the tensioner bolt up tight before removing the bolt and refitting the mount
I know now, but didn't before hand :Cool2:

·
Registered
439 Posts
The timing belt tensioner arrangement was one of the things that was changed with the introduction of the extended service interval TD lump ( MY '95 IIRC )

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seamus Always said:
The timing belt tensioner arrangement was one of the things that was changed with the introduction of the extended service interval TD lump ( MY '95 IIRC )
It had me shitting for a bit I can tell you :lmao:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts