Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am removing the head on a 98 r plate isuzu 1.7 dt and I am in the process of removing the old belt.

The haynes bok of lies (opel vauxhall diesel engines 82-96) says that the crankshaft pulley is held on with 4 bolts which I have removed.

It fails to mention the bloody great one in the middle.

The questions I have are:

1) is this right, can i remove the pulley without removing the bolt in the middle?

2)To remove the head, do I have to disturb this or can I still remove the lower cover and chage the cam belt?

3) If I do need to remove the big bolt, will having the car in gear with someone on the brakes with the bolts in place on the camshaft and injection sproket be enough to hold it or will I shear the bolts off?

I appriciate this is a few questions but I could really do with some guidance.

Thanks in advance,

MC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer, that was no help whatsoever, Just for the record I have spent 6 years as an Aircraft Engineer and I do know which end of a spanner to hold.

Seeking clarification before undoing everything in sight seems a good idea to me or would you suggest otherwise?

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi the pulley fits over the end of the crank and is held in place by the four small bolts just tap the pulley gently all the way round and it will come loose a bit of wd40 may well work too no need to remove the crank bolt at all
regards
Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve, that was what I was hoping as I really didn't want to have to remove the middle bolt as my torque wrench doesn't go that high!!!

Muesli Camel

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi no problem i would clean up the faces and smear some vaseline to stop the rust makes it easier to remove next time
regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
As stated , the big nut/bolt in the centre has bugger all to do with taking the crankshaft pulley off ,So, dont blame the Haynes manual :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys, th thing that threw me is the washer around the nut looks like it is over the top of the crankshaft pulley, that is why I tought I would check.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Makes no difference the 1.7 hasn't changed its the almost the same as the 1.5 even the same cam belt
regards
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong guys but does he not need to remove the big bolt timing pulley and back plate to get the head off?

Also take care with camshaft belt pulley it is not keyed, just a taper fit. Once disturbed you require the special timing tool to put on the vac pump end to set timing again.

Captain Kirk

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi no on the early Isuzu's the bottom pulley is held on with four bolts and when removed gives access to the timing belt bottom toothed pulley nothing like the other makes that need the whole crank bolt removing even the more modern ones have the same setup borrowed from Isuzu/GM
regards
Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help, sprayed with a bit of WD40 and it came right off, head now off and found the reason for the overheating, the head is cracked in 4 places so no chance of compression there.

I suppose the next question is does anyone have a decent head knocking about for sale?!?!?!?!?

Answers on a postcard c/o The Muesli Camel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts