Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've noticed a few issues with my car lately, and I don't know if they are all linked or just a coincidence. I have a 2016 Insignia Sri 2.0 CDTi eco

I pay quite a lot of attention to my MPG (average and instant), and have noticed that on some trips (not all), the instant mpg is much lower and this brings the average down quite dramatically. It is normally on these trips that I also notice the engine fan has usually turned on by the time I get to my destination (say 15-20 min trip), and upon opening the bonnet the engine does feel really hot for the length of trip or weather (although, I don't know if this is just the normal temp).

On the next trip however, it could be back to normal.

This has been happening for a few months. The other thing I have noticed more recently (like, today as it was really cold outside), is the heater wasn't working. It blew warmish air for a time but then went basically cold. I tried various combinations of hi / lo temp, numbers in between, internal air circulation on or off, fan speed and different vents (including auto de-mist), and turning eco mode on and off and nothing seemed to work.

One final thing is that sometimes when the engine is cold, I can hear a high pitch whining which gets louder with revving. This normally stops after about a minute.

Not sure if these things are linked, however I'm wondering if anyone has had this, knows what could be causing them, and how to fix etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

·
11,979 Posts
The first problem is not a problem, you car is carrying out a regeneration of the DPF, assuming you have a diesel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: it was the coolant.

However, now I think I have a coolant leak as the bottle was completely empty, and since having topped it back up, it's gone back down again.

Any thoughts on locating / plugging a leak?

·
Super Moderator
25,544 Posts
Update: it was the coolant.

However, now I think I have a coolant leak as the bottle was completely empty, and since having topped it back up, it's gone back down again.

Any thoughts on locating / plugging a leak?
Right , when the coolant level as got too low then there’s not enough to go around to fill the heater matrix which is why you don’t get any heat coming out from vents ( just stone cold air ).
Now that you’ve filled the expansion bottle back up , start engine & give it some blips on the throttle ( if you’ve a split hose the coolant will spurt out )
If you don’t see any coolant spurting out then look towards your EGR cooler to see if that’s leaking , if that’s ok look at your radiator for leaks.
Also check expansion tank overflow tube for signs of coolant being forced out ( which may indicate a faulty rad cap )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Fred Bassett think I've located the leak, it's on the hose that joins the top of the coolant bottle, looks like it's been up against a piece of hot metal and melted away. Can these be repaired or will I need a replacement?

·
Premium Member
13,430 Posts
With regards to your fan coming on once you've stopped. Prior to taking your key out of your ignition, if your tick over revs have increased. Then your car was in the middle of a regen. Maybe the reason why the fan is coming on to cool down the dpf filter, usually stays on for around two minutes or so, after switching your ignition off during a regen. This process will continue until the regen has completed or the filter is blocked.
Or the coolant loss is causing your issue. a lot of these engine loose a small amount of coolant, between top ups. Maybe two top ups per year seems around normal. Going by the previous 2, 2.0cdti's I've owned. Apart from my current one, zero loss of coolant or oil between services.
My car (same engine as yours), has around one regen every two weeks, which usually lasts around 12 minutes. I just keep driving until it completes. I cover 10-12k per year. I've averaged 45 mpg over the last 6 months (mixed driving), long run at close to 80, I get around 50mpg. Although I have an Astra.
Does yours have adblue? Mine not, if yours does then its the 170bhp whisper engine version. If not, it's the 163bhp version.

·
Super Moderator
25,544 Posts
@Fred Bassett think I've located the leak, it's on the hose that joins the top of the coolant bottle, looks like it's been up against a piece of hot metal and melted away. Can these be repaired or will I need a replacement?
You’ll need a new hose , can you take a photo on your phone & put up for us to see ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With regards to your fan coming on once you've stopped. Prior to taking your key out of your ignition, if your tick over revs have increased. Then your car was in the middle of a regen. Maybe the reason why the fan is coming on to cool down the dpf filter, usually stays on for around two minutes or so, after switching your ignition off during a regen. This process will continue until the regen has completed or the filter is blocked.
Or the coolant loss is causing your issue. a lot of these engine loose a small amount of coolant, between top ups. Maybe two top ups per year seems around normal. Going by the previous 2, 2.0cdti's I've owned. Apart from my current one, zero loss of coolant or oil between services.
My car (same engine as yours), has around one regen every two weeks, which usually lasts around 12 minutes. I just keep driving until it completes. I cover 10-12k per year. I've averaged 45 mpg over the last 6 months (mixed driving), long run at close to 80, I get around 50mpg. Although I have an Astra.
Does yours have adblue? Mine not, if yours does then its the 170bhp whisper engine version. If not, it's the 163bhp version.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I think you're right about the DPF, but I think mine is also caused by coolant loss. And yes I use ad blu - mine is the 163bhp version I believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You’ll need a new hose , can you take a photo on your phone & put up for us to see ?
@Fred Bassett Yeah, I think you're right. See photo attached - I've attempted to bodge the hole with duct tape and have run some Wynn's Stop Leak through it, it's slowed the leak I think but will definitely need to replace the hose.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,544 Posts
@Fred Bassett Yeah, I think you're right. See photo attached - I've attempted to bodge the hole with duct tape and have run some Wynn's Stop Leak through it, it's slowed the leak I think but will definitely need to replace the hose.
Replace as soon as , you don’t want sudden coolant loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts