Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody know if the parking brake can be adjusted on a Vauxhall Vectra C ?
I've done some online research and some people say that yes it can be manually adjusted but then others say no they can't be because they self adjust, so I am somewhat confused.

The parking brake lever pulls up to about 3 clicks and the lever goes really tight, yet the car still rolls after it has been applied.
It has had new brake calipers , brakes discs and brake pads ( all rear ) fitted just over a year ago (approximately 22,000 miles ago )

It was mentioned on the previous MOT in October that the hand brake was lazy on one side but at the time of the MOT it was still holding the car but now it doesn't seem to be holding it at all.

Anyone know what to suggest ? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Never fiddled with one myself but it would appear to be a self adjuster BUT if you have had work done then it needs resetting, this thread describes how to do it,... Vectra C handbrake adjustment

And this thread has some pictures, worth a read through, .. Handbrake adjust
Thanks I'll take a look at that. It's not had any work done to the brakes in about 14 months (22, 000) miles which was when the callipers , discs and pads were replaced . Everything has been great with them up until about a week ago the hand brake seems to completely stop working. The lever pulls up about 3 clicks then goes tight but the car still rolls

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts
Its probably because the cable has not been allowing the adjuster/lever on the caliper to return to its stop so the mechanism inside the rear piston for the handbrake is not winding out, its taken a while but its now out of adjustment and stopped working, releasing the cable will allow the levers to return to there respective stops and allow the system to start adjusting again. (hopefully) lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cable is self adjusting, the mechanism is under the centre console and the two cables run direct tot he rear calipers.
Ok thanks very much.

I was wondering if these can be manually adjusted instead of replacing the cables, it seems the 2 links you sent are for replacing the cables.

Still very useful thanks I'll refer to that if new cables are needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its probably because the cable has not been allowing the adjuster/lever on the caliper to return to its stop so the mechanism inside the rear piston for the handbrake is not winding out, its taken a while but its now out of adjustment and stopped working, releasing the cable will allow the levers to return to there respective stops and allow the system to start adjusting again. (hopefully) lol.
Good suggestion, thank you.

Did you mean simply disconnecting the handbrake cable from the caliper and then reconnecting it ? Thanks .

Forgot to mention in the post that the car has very almost 209,000 miles on the clock now if that helps in any way , I'm not sure how long Hb cables typically last for.

Cheers

Edit : this maybe unrelated but I've determined now that the level is dropping in the brake fluid reservoir, it's the third time I've noticed this today and again refilled it, could whatever the cause being of the disappearing brake fluid also be related to the sudden loss of handbrake operation ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are losing fluid, above all I would certainly be looking for a leak on the system.
I would presume as it's a Vectra C it wont have inboard brake shoes on the rear.
Pay particular attention to the caliper seals, hoses and banjo connections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Might be some tips here too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts