Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Im a member who frequents this forum. Even though I dont have a Vauxhall anymore, I stayed here as everyone here is very friendly!

Anyhow, I thought I'd bring up a subject and wanted to hear everyone esles experiences and opinions.

If like me, you have made the mistake of buying a brand new car or got a PCP. Later to only realise you are paying the best part of £10,000 over 3 years for a car you're unlikely to keep without paying the final baloon payment at the end.
I bought a brand new Kia Rio from a dealer who is also known for selling Vauxhalls. The salesman was nice enough and I still speak with him. I'm unsure if he's a friend or just "playing the role of a handy mate" to get you to buy from him again. Never the less, he was friendly.

However, I APR is pretty high on the car and thats my own fault for buying it. Howver, this dealer was the only person who would sell me a car and have it for me within a week.
I usually dress scruffy and have no interest in nice clothes. (so salesman think i'm just a broke time waster).
Anyhow, as I do work and needed my car for work at the time, it was essential i had a car to jump into. Seeing as I broke my 2001 Toyota Corolla at the time. Sadly it wasnt the cars fault it broke, it was mone, as I man handled it and punished the gearbox. The engine was amazing, not powerful, but very reliable!

Looking at the price. I paid £450.00 for my Corolla in March 2014. It needed a new rear back box to pass an Mot, as well as wiper blades and a few small sidelight bulbs.. Another £120.00 in total and I self serviced the car.
So for £570, I drove this car from March to late November 2014 like I stole it.
so for the 8 months I drove the car,it cost me £71 and some change over that time.

Now I pay £275 a month for what now a "dirty diesel!" and it's got faults!
Oh yes, not small little issues!!!
I mean serious issues, like the engine not pulling in gear and yet revs freely in neutral!
It's been like this since its second main dealer service!
On Saturday, the front passenger door handle fell off!
I booked the car in for what should hopefully be a Warranty repair!.. No guarantee it shall be!
I now dread having to pay any more for this as I hoped to have some trouble free motoring for 3 years!
Also, I'm very unlucky and got pulled by the Police for borderline bad tyres. Two rears were bad, but they booked me for 3 and I was served a prohibition! This meant I was forced to get an MOT on a car that was not even two years old!! Uff!!

I'm regretting this car, as it's also been the victim of sat-nav theft which meant not only a new window, but as they threw a rock at the car to smash the window, they missed the first time and damaged the drivers front door too!

If this had been my old Corolla, I could have inherited , dents, knocks, scuffs and scrapes without any care in the world!!

Back to my point! Having the engine issues with a car thats on PCP, I'm having to wait 4 weeks until they check the car for me, to diagnose and see what the problem is with my car.. It very much defeats the point in my eyes of having a new car on PCP.
If I had bought a cheap £600 banger, I could privately book the car in for a repair with a garage of my choice.

Has anyone else had bad luck with new cars or bought an old old car and stuck to bangernomics?

Am I alone with this matter?

Sorry for the long chapter. (i hope this is posted in the correct section).

·
Super Moderator
26,939 Posts
Cars are money pits & it's easy to spot the drivers that struggle with the costs of ownership ( bald tyre , broken lights , perished wiper blades , cracked windscreens etc ) & the answer is always the same , "haven't got the money to do the repairs it's costing me enough with putting fuel in & tax / insurance plus finance" . This doesn't just apply to older cars either or cars on finance , it also happens on lease cars ( customer bought in a nearly 2 year old Audi Q7 to the tyre fitters , all 4 tyres were bald & 1 had a screw in it which was the reason for the visit . Tyre fitter told him if he didn't agree to 4 new tyres being fitted he would call the police , bloke said it was nearing the end of his lease & was trying not to spend any money on it as the car was more expensive than what he thought it would be to lease ) The mechanical state of some cars that go to our local garage often beggars belief , " how the heck this engine hasn't gone bang is a miracle or Jesus look at these brakes , when was it last serviced ?" . So is it better to buy brand new or go for a used car ? Well it all depends on your personal circumstances , new cars suffer savage depreciation over the first 3 years but your under the manufacturers warranty & if you keep on top of the maintenance you should have a reliable car ( having had 6 new cars over the years , some of been faultless one was constantly needing parts replacing so thank god for the warranty) I've bought nearly new cars & had the best of both worlds , some manufacturers warranty left & dodged some of the depreciation . Then I've bought 4 year old motors for say banger money territory (£5000) & chucked a load of money at them replacing parts that have failed & ended up with a nice reliable motor that didn't break the bank & one that i know i can afford to run.

·
Team Tommy Tank!
4,414 Posts
I can't really see the point in buying brand spanking new apart from in some cases like huge dealer contributions on pcp making them cheaper than used or mega cheap workhorses with big warranties etc.

I'm really glad some people do though otherwise there wouldn't be any used cars for me to buy :)

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
I can't really see the point in buying brand spanking new apart from in some cases like huge dealer contributions on pcp making them cheaper than used or mega cheap workhorses with big warranties etc.
When we bought the abomination of the Antara, a new car worked out cheaper than the 1 or 2 year old cars on their forecourt. When I asked how can that be, the answer was that people are stupid and don't push for discounts on new cars, new cars mean better bonuses for the salesmen.

I wouldn't rule out a new car again, depends on the deal. The juke we have now was bought at 5 months old and had got a £21k car for £14k, bit of a no brainer

·
Team Tommy Tank!
4,414 Posts
When we bought the abomination of the Antara, a new car worked out cheaper than the 1 or 2 year old cars on their forecourt. When I asked how can that be, the answer was that people are stupid and don't push for discounts on new cars, new cars mean better bonuses for the salesmen.

I wouldn't rule out a new car again, depends on the deal. The juke we have now was bought at 5 months old and had got a £21k car for £14k, bit of a no brainer
That's the exact scenario that makes perfect sense to buy new.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Pcp ....scam.
Whats your options?
I know of quite a few people recently who have cut their losses and just stopped the direct debits.

270 odd quid a month for a kia rio.
You could get a 70k mortgage for that.
Stop paying it. Cancel the dd and park it outside ready for the low loader to come.

Imo

·
Team Tommy Tank!
4,414 Posts
Pcp ....scam.
Whats your options?
I know of quite a few people recently who have cut their losses and just stopped the direct debits.

270 odd quid a month for a kia rio.
You could get a 70k mortgage for that.
Stop paying it. Cancel the dd and park it outside ready for the low loader to come.

Imo
PCP can work well depending on the garaunteed minimum value and the interest.

I had a two year old Merc CLK 280 sport on a £220 per month pcp for two years doing 30k miles a year. Was less than the depreciation as they gave it a ridiculously good minimum value/balloon option. My car allowance dictates that I have a fairly new car.

I usually buy outright but if the pcp figures work out better I take the deal.

However that much on a Kia does seem crazy

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Kia gave us an amazing deal a few years ago. £23k Sedona at 10 months old for £11k, at 48 month interest free after a small deposit worked out about £200 a month. And that was buying outright, no pcp limits. Sadly none of their deal came close when we wanted to change it, the unlimited 7 year warranty comes at a real cost.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I have bought 1 new car in my life, still have it now (16 years later). It cost £8000 new so £500 per year, always do my own servicing so it's never been to the dealers or any other garage (except for MOT's). I've spent very little on it over the years, 1 battery, a set of tyres, 2 cambelts and of course the yearly oil and filter etc. and it still has the original exhaust system.

However, I've said I'd never buy a new car again. Like Fred has said, there are plenty of good used cars with warranty still left on them starting at 50% of the new price for a 1 year old car and with little mileage on them. When I bought the Combo the new price was £16,000 and I paid £2600 for it at 4 years old.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeapp... At the time I was in a financial corner.
None of the local dealers wanted to do much business.
£275 and I paid no deposit. I was a mug really. They charged me £82 for £20 worth of fuel.
I'll keep it a little longer... I think I'll refurb the alloys, have the lower lip scuffs removed so it's in decent condition for its age... Drive it to the dealers and hand the keys, log book... With service manual back to them and cancel the direct debit.
Along with a letter to the dealer and the financer.
I'm glad people buy new cars. I think if i was a self employed high earner, I'd spend my tax money on a new car... So then I can buy it off my own firm and yet the car be just one owner... But the log book would say otherwise, which i care little about

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Kia gave us an amazing deal a few years ago. £23k Sedona at 10 months old for £11k, at 48 month interest free after a small deposit worked out about £200 a month. And that was buying outright, no pcp limits. Sadly none of their deal came close when we wanted to change it, the unlimited 7 year warranty comes at a real cost.
tell me more about this, mate, because i have always liked the sedona and the warranty is an obvious attraction, or was lol

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
tell me more about this, mate, because i have always liked the sedona and the warranty is an obvious attraction, or was lol
That deal was gone some time ago, when we tried again the payments were near double for a similar car. Just caught it at the right time, of them having too many cars at the end of the quarter, and a few special deals on. We came out thinking that deal was too good to be true.

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
That deal was gone some time ago, when we tried again the payments were near double for a similar car. Just caught it at the right time, of them having too many cars at the end of the quarter, and a few special deals on. We came out thinking that deal was too good to be true.
i didnt mean the deal you got, bud, i meant more about your opinion the warranty comes at 'a real cost'

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Just that the equivalent model and spec had jumped up £4k or £5k with the addition of the 7 year warranty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's insane to "buy" a brand new car. But, if you're leasing it for three years, it could potentially offer you hassle-free motoring, and cheap tax and insurance, depending on the make and model you get.

Plus, after the three years is up, you can just hand it back or start again with another brand new one. Another way to look at it is this: leasing a car is much cheaper than hiring one from someone like Avis or Enterprise.

Personally, I can't afford to lease a brand new car right now which is why I have an 11-year old Zafira parked on my driveway. I also don't do much mileage these days (probably less than 2,000!) so I could only justify leasing a new car if I did average or higher miles each year.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
It's insane to "buy" a brand new car. .
Why is it 'insane'?

Imagine you are in your mid 60's, you have some cash, but you are living off your pension, you want a car to 'see you out' that isn't going to breakdown all the time or mean you are in debt (assuming you can get PCP/ loan at 65+). chances are you will be giving your licence back in 10 years so you might as well treat yourself and have something smart and new. You can get free servicing for 3 years with a new car BTW - my parents negotiated it on my mum's Honda along with a £6k discount on list and they delivered it to their door.

You own the car, you aren't 'giving away' £2-300ish each month and getting nothing at the end of it, plus if you do pop your clogs there's still something for 'the kids' and not a debt they have to sort out

Definitely not insane to buy new.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Why is it 'insane'?

Imagine you are in your mid 60's, you have some cash, but you are living off your pension, you want a car to 'see you out' that isn't going to breakdown all the time or mean you are in debt (assuming you can get PCP/ loan at 65+). chances are you will be giving your licence back in 10 years so you might as well treat yourself and have something smart and new. You can get free servicing for 3 years with a new car BTW - my parents negotiated it on my mum's Honda along with a £6k discount on list and they delivered it to their door.

You own the car, you aren't 'giving away' £2-300ish each month and getting nothing at the end of it, plus if you do pop your clogs there's still something for 'the kids' and not a debt they have to sort out

Definitely not insane to buy new.
Just because its new doesnt mean it wont break down all the time.
Also the service costs associated with the warranty terms could far exceed break down costs of a new used vehicle

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
My parents new car broke down after 6 weeks and spent weeks being damaged in the dealership. Eventually got it back after having the fault fix and all the body damage they did to it while trying to fix it, then it was peeing out diesel and eventually with a bit of force I gave it back to the dealership for a full refund.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Also the service costs associated with the warranty terms could far exceed break down costs of a new used vehicle
And second hand cars buy second hand troubles with far less comeback. Perception gives peace of mind with a brand new car

From experience, Honda were offering 3 years servicing including parts and labour for £350 something, that was a very good deal. That was on top of the 6k discount, from £28k down to £22k and my parents deliberately bought a 2ltr petrol (with i-Vtec yo) due to short distance diesel problems, and the fact the supposedly superior diesel was gutless in comparison on back to back test drives. In that price it was also delivered to their door from a dealer in Manchester, they live in Essex btw on the East coast. It had its first MOT last week, not missed a beat in 3 years. So obviously buying a new car isn't always insane, which was the point I was making previously

1 - 20 of 24 Posts