Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, hello to all. I'm a long time Vauxhall owner (Sport Hatch, 1981 Mk1 Carlton, now facelift Mk1 or some call it mk2 but that confuses people and they think of the later shape Carlton), but new to the site. Love my big Vaux/Opel - Sennys, Royale, Viceroy, Monza, Carlton/Rekord, Holden variations, plus the older stuff - Crestas, Victors, etc.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I'm wondering what to do with my present Carlton. I'm emigrating later this year and want to know if there's a market for my car and if it's worth advertising.

The good bits - it's a 1986 2.2 CDi auto in metallic Steel grey with 80K on the clock , old/original shape. Two previous owners and been garaged all it's life. Has loads of history from day one. Only rust is a small scab on one front wing and there are two small plates on the Macpherson top. Except for that, it's rust free. Interior is immaculate and they alloys are in great shape. They even have the star shaped plastic centres. As it's top the range for the day, it has all the toys you got in a mid 80s car. When laid up, it drove faultlessly and was much smoother than the carb version earlier Carlton.

Bad bits - I laid the car up in a dry garage 12 years ago, and haven't touched it since. It has a small weep from the rear of the autobox.

So, is the car a vitually worthless scrapper, or would it be worth someone doing the jobs to bring it back to life? Would be criminal for it to end up on the banger track.

This was the car not long before it was laid up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello Woodbine,
The Carlton looks pretty decent but thats on the basis of seeing only one side of the car. From my point of view you need to provide a lot more information to maximise your chances of selling the vehicle. To achieve your objective you will need to show what the car looks like ie photos front , both sides, rear and interior as well as the door shuts (doors wide open) and the engine compartment. Before taking the photos thoroughly clean and wash the car then you may be lucky to generate some interest. I don't know what your background is in terms of vehicles eg mechanical capabilities\knowledge but you will also need to demonstrate that the car has been well looked after. If you've done the work yourself then state what you've done and back it up with costs of parts and services. Good luck.

·
Well-Known User.
4,287 Posts
If it were me I think I would rather sell as is without touching it, if you give it a clean then you may as well get the engine started and at least show it running if not moving.

·
Well-Known User.
4,287 Posts
...you will also need to demonstrate that the car has been well looked after. If you've done the work yourself then state what you've done and back it up with costs of parts and services. Good luck.
History is nice to have but isn't as relevant as the car has been off the road for at least 12 years and will need recomissioning anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I would contact the Practical Classics car magazine to either put an advert in the magazine or offer it to them for bringing it back to life, rather than have it scrapped. The advert in the magazine is a free service - - - Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts