Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just bought a second hand astra (04 1.7 cdti enjoy) i am trying to work out how to best connect the iPod (nano) to the stereo.

My options:

1) Cable into the back of the current stereo (AOPIPOD003), but very expensive for the cable and nowhere seems to be able to confirm that the display will work, i know that the oem controls will work with it.
Has anyone had experience of how easy it is to install and use afterwards?
Do i need to buy a brace for it or can it stay in the glove box?

2) Aftermarket head unit - won't cost that much more but..... which will work with the OEM and will use the display properly? - what cables do i need etc - i know i'll miss one and be constantly pulling the stereo in and out! The stores never seem to tell you what they actually come with compared to what they actually need!

I'll be keeping the car for a couple of years and do a lot of motorway driving so need the tunes but don't want to spend more than £200! The current factory fit stereo works fine and to be honest the quality etc is fine for what i need.

Any suggestions as to which you'd get/what is easiest and most reliable etc?

Thanks in advance

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
scotty0409 said:
Just get an FM transmitter
FM transmitters are crap! I had one and the sound was not good at all.

I went for the Blaupunkt iPod interface (7 607 540 500) to connect to my Blaupunkt headunit. The headunit can operate the iPod, charge it and you can get the track info displayed on the headunit :Cool2:

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
I had an iTrip and it was useless. I had a couple of others and they were just as bad!

As for cluttering up the dash - with the Blaupunkt interface you can stick the iPod in the glove box and forget about it as the headunit controls it and charges it using one cable. :Cool2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies,

I am on my 2nd transmitter and both have been pants! Too many dodgy local radio stations in our area so it constantly cuts out or is over ridden so that option is out of the window! Thats assuming i have got as far as getting the volume high enough to hear a vague mumble of sound and that i haven't crashed trying to change the song!

Will look at the blaupunkt...

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
1981trouble said:
Will look at the blaupunkt...
Click here for more info on the Blaupunkt interface.

It works off the CD changer system. You could also try an Aux input where you connect a lead from the headphone socket of the iPod to an Aux input socket on the headunit. This is a cheaper option and less versatile, plus it won't charge the iPod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you looked at the Harmon Kardon system. Halfords sell them at £149.99 fully fitted. Unit works with your existing head unit, has a separate display unit displaying your ipod info which attaches to your windscreen and is detachable and also a rotary control unit for the dash which replicates the controls of your ipod.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just bought an alpine head unit (ends in 9850i) that has ipod full speed, it lets you completely use your ipod throught the head unit, including searching etc. it retails bout £185 so within your price range and seems to me to be the best option (or was for me, i have 3700 tracks on that thing!)

Oh and you can get an alpine>vauxhall display interface adaptor

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
kazsymonds said:
I just bought an alpine head unit (ends in 9850i) that has ipod full speed, it lets you completely use your ipod throught the head unit, including searching etc. it retails bout £185 so within your price range and seems to me to be the best option (or was for me, i have 3700 tracks on that thing!)

Oh and you can get an alpine>vauxhall display interface adaptor
I got one of these last week and it`s pretty good, I also drove 1000 Km across Oman with a FM transmitter and didnt have any problem at all however once you get a few K's into the interior there arent any radio stations to interfere with it anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts