Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have a 14 Reg Astra 1.4.

After about 20 minutes driving there is an intermittent high pitched noise form the nearside of the car. The noise stops instantly when I touch the brakes but reappears shortly afterwards. Pressing the break again stops it for another short period(s). After about 10 minutes the noise disappears for the rest of the journey.

The noise only appears to occur when the car is warmed up; reducing/increasing the speed has no effect as does any change in direction. I asked the garage to have a look as the MOT was due and they said everything was fine. The mileage is only 10,000.

Any ideas please.
GGP

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
All my cars have had intermittent whines, as soon as the mrs gets out it stops!lol

Jokes aside i would second Freds comment, get a free brake check done somewhere. Many garages do them nowdays. If brake check is ok, check wheel hub/bearings for play or driveshaft play. Usually if bearings you would hear it on corners though i'd of thought.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry for another 'I had this...' story - I did the front discs / pads and had similar symptoms, drove me mad. Ended up being the silly thin shield around the disc that looked fine, but was only just scraping at one edge. I only found it after stripping the offending side down for the second time. So easy to bend out of shape. Schoolboy error on my part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's comments. Sorry for the delay as been on holiday. I will try the free brake check first and let you know it goes. I take the point about the whining noise while certain people are in the car:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all

Just had a phone call from Kwik Fit (I paid £35.00 for a full report) to say they think it is a faulty calliper and has caused some damage? They have quoted £500 to effect a repair but I will take it back to my garage who said they did not see a problem. Could be Kwik Fit are at it.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
£500 sounds a bit steep for a caliper repair, did they give you a written quotation with a breakdown of costs? Sounds like are trying to pull a fast one unless the brake cylinder/s need replacing also.

·
Premium Member
15,325 Posts
Hi all

Just had a phone call from Kwik Fit (I paid £35.00 for a full report) to say they think it is a faulty calliper and has caused some damage? They have quoted £500 to effect a repair but I will take it back to my garage who said they did not see a problem. Could be Kwik Fit are at it.
I'd avoid kwik fit. If you require work. Take it to a different indy garage. If you are looking to try another garage. You could use "the good garage scheme".

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi all

For £35 I'd want to hear, "It's definitely a faulty caliper / flux capacitor / spinny whirly thing / warp drive". Get them to tell you which corner and that you'll come back for a £35 refund if you change it and the problem's still there.
The only thing I'd ever have done at Kwik Fit is tyres, and that's only because we don't own enough spoons to fit them myself (wheel balancing is also an issue too).

What damage, by the way?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd have them, but quite soft metal though.

I was just thinking on this - £500??? What the hell are they saying needs replacing that would bang the bottom line up to that? You could change almost every part in the braking system for that money, or am I still living in the 1980's?
"You can't get better than a Kwik Fit Fitter...they're the boys to trust" - their own words from years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I'd have them, but quite soft metal though.

I was just thinking on this - £500??? What the hell are they saying needs replacing that would bang the bottom line up to that? You could change almost every part in the braking system for that money, or am I still living in the 1980's?
"You can't get better than a Kwik Fit Fitter...they're the boys to trust" - their own words from years ago.
Caliper at most would be £100 i'd of thought, there's many for around the £80 mark, even with a new set of discs and pads, still talking over £300 labour. Definitely not right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears they want to change
caliper £226
2 Discs £185.20
1st of Pads £108.20

Funny how my garage never noticed all this at Mot 6 weeks ago. I am taking the car back to the garage on Wednesday to hear what they say

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
This on a three year old car, that's only done 10,000 miles, someone is being ripped off!
Has anyone checked the gearbox oil yet?
A whining noise is unlikely to be brake related, I would have thought.

·
Super Moderator
26,976 Posts
Hi all

Making work for themselves that's unnecessary but meets their daily cost of sales totals.

·
Super Moderator
26,976 Posts
For £35 I'd want to hear, "It's definitely a faulty caliper / flux capacitor / spinny whirly thing / warp drive". Get them to tell you which corner and that you'll come back for a £35 refund if you change it and the problem's still there.
The only thing I'd ever have done at Kwik Fit is tyres, and that's only because we don't own enough spoons to fit them myself (wheel balancing is also an issue too).

What damage, by the way?
For £35 i could make something up ............................ oh yeah picked up Beyoncé this afternoon in the taxi , on the way we did some carpool karaoke & then she went shopping at Lidl :D

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
It appears they want to change
caliper £226
2 Discs £185.20
1st of Pads £108.20

Funny how my garage never noticed all this at Mot 6 weeks ago. I am taking the car back to the garage on Wednesday to hear what they say
Those part costs are 2 to 4 times the amount they should be unless they are fitting brembo stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts