Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 plate Vivaro van, had fault from brand new. Large style body not the new smaller 2019 model.

Issue:

Regarding the start/stop system: When idle and in neutral at lights or a junction the start stop system engages and switches off the engine.

The fault arises intermittently when depressing the clutch to return the engine to a running state.

The engine tries to start, though struggles. Only reaching around 500rpm, the engine then dies. Requiring another clutch press to start again.

Has anyone come across this before. I am having trouble with garage getting this fixed. Clutch switch replaced. Issue persists.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, that is a good idea.

I have given the van back to the garage to try and repair. They are saying this is a characteristic of the vehicle. I have another identical model to test drive and I have managed to get the same fault too.

If this is a characteristic of the vehicle, I don’t understand to what advantage it brings and how to stop it from happening? It is really disconcerting not knowing if you need one or two clutch presses to start the engine in a stop start situation.

From your experience would you expect the engine to start one one clutch press?

Could this be a manufacturing fault that effects this model of vehicle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the battery in the loan van I noticed that it is an EFB type. The manual states that it should be AGM, otherwise Start / Stop performance will be effected.

I will post an update once I have spoken to Vauxhall about this.

·
Super Moderator
25,362 Posts
Looking at the battery in the loan van I noticed that it is an EFB type. The manual states that it should be AGM, otherwise Start / Stop performance will be effected.

I will post an update once I have spoken to Vauxhall about this.
These people make me laugh ,” they all do that mate it’s a characteristic of this model “
What utter tosh , the engine should start back up straightaway & not need 2 attempts.
Without doubt the wrong battery is fitted onto the van , all stop/start systems need AGM batteries because it’s only that type that can handle a full discharge & survive.
Each time a restart is done it takes around 20 minutes on a normal set up , on stop/start systems every component involved in the starting of engine is beefed up to cope with the strain put on those components.
EFB battery will only cope with a 50% discharge & is not designed for use in stop/start systems.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Boils my pee when I hear this nonsense from dealerships. If it comes with a feature then it needs to work 100%. In this case it could be a safety issue, there are plenty of places you really don't want to be stalling. Glad you are not letting this rest.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Hdc,
Yep, it needs sorting, I had a similar response to a Transporter fault with a main dealer, Four times they returned it, three times it never got out of their car park. It needed a new cylinder head in the end but it took 6 weeks and they weren't really interested in doing it.
Keep at them , they'll fix it eventually, good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No luck here, Evans Halshaw wont acknowledge the fault and are unwilling to try an AGM type battery as it would void the warranty on the van. The van even faulted whilst a technician was driving it and they are still calling it a “characteristic“ of the van, and question my driving style.

I have asked for the battery to be replaced like for like, just to rule out that failure point. I’m going to drive it for a couple of weeks whilst I am working with it to see if the fault continues. I have spoken to Head Office they have mentioned that the Vauxhall technical field manager will come out and look at the van, which I will arrange if the fault continues.

I will post an update later on down the line. Also will try and figure out a way of recording the fault to prove to Evans Halshaw.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
It is standard practice to keep fobbing you off until you either get too hacked off and decide to live with the fault, or the warranty runs out. Don't give in. It took me threats of legal action to get anywhere when I had a van engine failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New like for like battery fitted today and the van faulted twice on the way home.

Managed to get it on video this time though:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts