Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Got a problem with my 2007 Corsa 1.2 petrol.

The power steering light is coming on intermittently, and steering goes heavy - so the power steering is not working. Turn the car off, turn it back on again, works.

I can manually create the problem by turning full lock to the right - light comes on, steering goes heavy. But if I put full left lock on, no problem.

I've Googled this and found many, many different responses. Some say that you need to top up the power steering fluid. Others say that there is no power steering fluid because it is Electric Power Steering. Still others say that even though it is EPS, there is still the need for fluid.

A guy at work said to remove power steering fluid container lid, full lock left and right a few times, as there might be air trapped in the system, but I can't for the life of me find any power steering fluid bottle under the bonnet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
its all electric so no fluid. you be best getting the codes read to see exactly what the problem is instead of guessing and playing parts darts

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
not that common problem, just unlucky, but it is the eps unit at fault, there is no power steering fluid to top up, its electronic.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Funnily enough I have been reading a very very long and oldish thrdad about this very problem on Merivas. I know yours is a Corsa but the symptoms are very very similar. It might be a good idea to read through these threads. It would seem the the Merivas are getting partial amounts for the fix paid for by Vauhall. I wouldn't think that this would apply to your car as the thread is about Merivas but it will give you an insight as to the cause and, more importantly, the possible cost.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co...-out-and-eps-light-comes-on-sometimes.437407/

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co...gn-to-recall-meriva-eps-light-problem.179713/

·
86 Posts
Check the battery. Admittedly a Meriva A, but the only time the wifes' car has experienced an EPS fault was a few days before the battery finally expired. No issues since and other weird behaviour also stopped after changing the battery - e.g. hazard lights flashing indefinitely when remote central locking the car.

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
Just been reading the Epic tale of the Meriva on here, it does seem that the issue can be caused by an aging battery and or a alternator not producing enough power, so find a nice garage that will do you a battery stress test and alternator check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.