Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Intermittent fault with dials stopping working whilst driving.

[Astra Mk5/H] [04-09] 
7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  DomDomDom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I was hoping for some help with an issue that I have with my 2007 Astra H 1.4 petrol.

As described above the issue I'm experiencing is that my dials will intermittently fail whilst driving, along with the ABS and EML light coming on and going off looking like an 80's disco on my dash, then they're ok dials back and then not etc etc.

Interestingly though, sometimes the dials fail and the only light that comes up on the dash is the battery light, when this happens, if I stop the car and switch off the engine the car will not start again.

This was my first car and the issue only became apparent to me a couple of weeks after I bought it, so I decided to book it in for a full service and also to get the problem with the dials checked out and fixed.

One expensive service later I received a call from the garage saying that they had been testing the car all day and the only thing they could find fault with was the alternator as it was fried, which I saw and it was. They said to me that they think that was the problem that was causing the dials to stop working but couldnt guarantee that that was the definite cause? So the outcome was a new alternator and fitting at another £180 so I think it should be safe to rule out the alternator. Anyway car back for a week, great, no issues until recently now it's started doing it's old tricks again...

I have a couple of videos to show exactly what is happening with the dials if it's any help.

Any help greatly appreciated

Dom

See less See more
#2 ·
I experienced total clock failure once on my previous 57 plate 1.6sxi. It was one Christmas morning, started it up. All the clocks went off. I drove it for around a mile. Restarted it twice, all back to normal again. When I arrived home, I disconnected the battery, cleaned both terminals up. Never did happen again over 4 years of ownership.

#3 ·
Thanks Boroboy,

I will give that a try tomorrow and see if that helps the issue any. Going through the receipts for previous work done I can see that the battery had some work done to it before so maybe an issue in there somewhere but I would have expected the garage to have spotted something like that surely if they we'e looking for the cause of the problem?

Cheers again
Dom

#9 ·
You could ring Vauxhall Customer Services and ask them. They should be able to check against your registration number for you.

#11 ·
Ok, so I have found a video on YouTube where another guy has exactly the same issue that I am experiencing with my car and he has commented that he has fixed it but I can't decipher what he has written in his comment on what the problem was and how he fixed it?

I have messaged him to ask but still no reply and to be fair he put the video up over 2 years ago... if I post a screenshot of his comment here would anyone be able to help me understand what he means??

Any help greatly appreciated once again. I really want to sort this out
Text Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.