Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!! HI EVERY ONE.MY STORY STARTS WHEN I BOUGHT MY 1998 2.016V SRI TWO MONTHS AGO.I THOUGHT I COULD SORT THE PROB BUT I JUST CANT SEEM TO GET IT SO ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT.WHAT IV DONE IS REPLACED MOST COMPONANTS SUCH AS
THROTTLE CONTROL VALVE,
AIR FLOW SENSOR,
PLUGS AND LEADS,
TRYED A SECOND HAND COIL,
CHECKED FOR FAULT CODES AT VH GARAGE BUT NOTHING,
AIR FILTER,
CAM AND CRANKSHAFT SENSOR,
EVEN GOT A NEW FUEL PUMP TO SEE IF WOULD HELP,BUT NO,

WHAT SEEMS TO HAPPEN IS OCCAISIONALY THE CAR WILL CUT OUT WHEN THE CAR COMES TO A STOP OR WHEN DIPPING THE CLUCH WHEN IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING AND IDELING VERY BADLY ALSO WHEN DOING THIS A ROTTEN EGG SMELL FAR MORE THE USUAL HAPPENS AND THHE CAR FINDS IT HARD TO REV WITH OUT SPLUTTERING!!!ITS THE CUTTING OUT THING THATS DOING MY HEAD IN.
THE THING IS I REALY LIKE THE CAR AND I WANT IT SORTED.
O IVE HAD BREATHERS CHECKED.
CAN ANY ONE HELP
SOS
:cry:

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
heggy said:
WHAT SEEMS TO HAPPEN IS OCCAISIONALY THE CAR WILL CUT OUT WHEN THE CAR COMES TO A STOP OR WHEN DIPPING THE CLUCH WHEN IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING AND IDELING VERY BADLY ALSO WHEN DOING THIS A ROTTEN EGG SMELL FAR MORE THE USUAL HAPPENS AND THHE CAR FINDS IT HARD TO REV WITH OUT SPLUTTERING!!!
Partially collapsed cat? Or blocked exhaust?

ps, please don't shout - ie, upper case letters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
any warning lights on? when it was pluged in did you get any codes from it? small breather pipe from cam cover to throttle body blocked? stops the engine from breathing is a small restrictor in throttle body that blocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,heggy here.no warning codes come on when the car stalls and i checked breathers ,they seem to b fine.is it worth taking the throttle body of and gutting it good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
astra with persistant fault

Dynamic Dave said:
Partially collapsed cat? Or blocked exhaust?

ps,
don't shout - ie, upper case letters.
sorry if i shout but if anyone had the constant prob i have with this car,trys u.if i had a partially blocked cat would the prob not b constant instead of intermitantly?and would it smell like rotten eggs(un burnt fuel).
heggy.:bust:

·
Registered
122 Posts
heggy said:
hi,heggy here.no warning codes come on when the car stalls and i checked breathers ,they seem to b fine.is it worth taking the throttle body of and gutting it good?
with the engine running and you pulled the pipe off did it suck on your finger? i wouldn't strip it, just clean the flap. what about the pipe from air flow meter to engine, any splits?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
I would definately remove and clean the throttle body making sure all drillings etc are clear. Clean the idle valve etc to.....

Other possibles are a sticking EGR valve (fit a blanking plate to fix it as its not needed).

Be careful with willy nilly part swaps, it can realy confuse the fault...

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi, try taking the cat off you should see a honey cone on the inside if its loose, melted or discoloured its my bet thats your problem, does the cat rattle when you tap it with your hand??? (only do this when its cold as cats get upto 400deg C)

its does sound like the cat or exhaust blocking up, the other thing to try is there a good flow coming from the exhaust????

i hope this helps with your problem!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi,ill look into that when i get back to work(the garage)on tuesday.if this was the cause do u think it would be a constant prob or what seems an intermitant prob and where do u think the intense rotten egg smell comes from,time to time?
thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
hi i had same probs wit my astra , they cleaned the throttle body and replaced egr valve and now i have no probs. unfortunatly im not 100% were its located so i dont want to mis inform you lol, im sure someone on here will know though....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts