Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

My intercooler outlet pipe has split on my insignia 2011 CDTI, which Mr Bassett diagnosed in an earlier thread :) he is good.....

Apparently a common fault......is this a genuine part or do we know anywhere i can get a non gen decent one?

And what is that bloody clip at the top of it all about? Only had a quick look in the dark this evening.....

Regards

Jim

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
There are a few OEM parts listed on fleabay, as to their quality that'd be unknown however. The clip isn't as bad as it looks, albeit a little fiddly, it's just a big springloaded horseshoe type clip, you just spread it open away from the pipe with a flat blade screwdriver, and again the other side of it (might need to leave one screwdriver in place to stop the first side popping back) - this will release the pipe.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply mate. It's a shame they don't do a jubilee conversion to stop the vapours leaking out of the pipe, as I think this is what rotted the pipe in the first place .........

·
Premium Member
14,472 Posts
Wait till you see the new clip on the other end of the pipe (intercooler end), if you remove the fog light surround to do the job dont refit till you have done a road test just in case it pops off.

·
Premium Member
14,472 Posts
If you have never fitted one then the first attempt nearly always fails.:) the clip should be sprayed with plenty of lube and then push the pipe and clip on..then you need to twist the clip so it locks in place, most people fail to do this on the first attempt, (not realising that you have to turn the clip slightly) which results in the pipe popping off when under boost, you will probably poop yourself if the bang is loud enough, thinking omg what have i done....:D

·
Premium Member
14,472 Posts
If you were to buy any of the 2 then buy the first link you posted, the top rubber seal does leak after a while so needs replacing, the bottom does not suffer from leakage so you can just cut the steel band off and replace the rubber hose using a jubilee clip, its a lot cheaper than the genuine one.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers mate....... You don't seem that keen on either item? Is there a better product that I don't know about?
Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
14,472 Posts
Its not that mate, i would just replace with the genuine item but they are expensive, if i had to choose i would buy the first one.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah right now I see............

What I normally do is buy the cheap one get ripped off and then buy the genuine one later on lol......... Can you remember roughly how much it was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a few OEM parts listed on fleabay, as to their quality that'd be unknown however. The clip isn't as bad as it looks, albeit a little fiddly, it's just a big springloaded horseshoe type clip, you just spread it open away from the pipe with a flat blade screwdriver, and again the other side of it (might need to leave one screwdriver in place to stop the first side popping back) - this will release the pipe.
Sorry bringing this up 4 years later but I'm doing this now and can't understand how to use this clip! Can you explain exactly what I need to do?

This is my 1st time doing anything on a car - I've got the top of the new pipe fitted but stuck on how to connect the bottom.

I've tried to follow your comment but so far I've just got one side connected ith the clip not moving on the other.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry bringing this up 4 years later but I'm doing this now and can't understand how to use this clip! Can you explain exactly what I need to do?

This is my 1st time doing anything on a car - I've got the top of the new pipe fitted but stuck on how to connect the bottom.

I've tried to follow your comment but so far I've just got one side connected ith the clip not moving on the other.

Thanks
Hi did you sort this? This has just happened to me -

I was driving home the other night from work and put my foot down to over take (nothing major) and my car made a kind of pop noise and I lost all power (like it had no turbo) anyway I got home slowly and had a look, after a bit of research and help from a friend it was the intercooler out let pipe,

ordered 1 and had it fitted,

on the way home after being fitted I do the same type of thing, put my foot down a little to overtake and pop and loss of power once again! slowly drove home and had a look under the bonnet and the same part (pipe) has popped off and broken again :-(

HELP lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi did you sort this? This has just happened to me -

I was driving home the other night from work and put my foot down to over take (nothing major) and my car made a kind of pop noise and I lost all power (like it had no turbo) anyway I got home slowly and had a look, after a bit of research and help from a friend it was the intercooler out let pipe,

ordered 1 and had it fitted,

on the way home after being fitted I do the same type of thing, put my foot down a little to overtake and pop and loss of power once again! slowly drove home and had a look under the bonnet and the same part (pipe) has popped off and broken again :-(

HELP lol
Hi mate,

Seem like whatever Issue I was having you've had as well!
I originally had the dpf cleaned, then engine changed then came across the hose being an issue.

Changed the hose but car was still in limp mode.

I called it a day and scrapped it.

No one seems to know what the actual issue is that leads to this but it does seem to be a common issue. My advice is to just get a new car.

If you do get it do let us know how - Id be very curious.

Thansk and good luck!

EDIT - Sorry I forgot to mention that it seems like the hose just wasn't fitted correctly, I used the old clip as was having issue fitting the new clip that was supplied with the new pipe. It really easy to fit yourself (check youtube for a how to), Id also try to get your money back from the guy whos fit it incorrectly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts