Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend has an Astra 1.6 SRi diesel, 2014. The Light has come on on the dash board and he's been told that it's because the intake manifold flap is stuck open. The car drives well without any smoke.
I'm wondering if this is something I could tackle with guidance from people on here, so my question is. How big a job is this to fix?
I've looked on you tube for videos to see, but all the 1.6's with this problem seem to be Audi's. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fault codes using a basic code reader are

P12AF and P2004 Intake manifold runner control stuck open Bank 1a.

It is also saying dpf is full. Could this be related or coincidence?
Thanks
Trevor

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the inlet manifold off today. I was amazed at the amount off crud that was in it. The intake flaps appeard to move freely though and rotated from horizontal to what appeared to be closed. The sensor at the top of the manifold was totally gunked up. Could this be what was causing the P2004 error code. Not sure which sensor it is? Intake air temp?? Anu advice welcome and appreciated.
Engine is B16DTH, 1.6 CDTI

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
The sensor in the manifold is the MAP sensor, if this is clogged up or faulty it can cause the issue you have, the system is monitored by the PCM and i think it uses the map sensor to determine the flap position, to achieve this the ecu must see a change in the map sensor reading when the flaps are opened/closed, if the change in pressure is not what it expects to see then it will assume the flaps are stuck, again if the motor on the end of the manifold is not working correctly this can cause the same issue so you need to determine if its moving using the output test with a compatible diagnostic tool, you will also need to check what voltages you have at the runner control solenoid plug, you could have a broken/shorted wire.

If it was me, i would replace the manifold now you have it apart, especially if it was badly clogged up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply, it's a great help. How gunked up it is after 187k miles, my gut feeling now you've said that is that its what's causing the problem. Have however taken your advice and ordered one off Ebay that's from a car that's only done 37k, so hopefully will arrive in time to be fitted next weekend.
Thanks again & will post an update when fitted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fitted the replacement inlet manifold today and really pleased to report that the P2004 error code has been cured. Used my opcom to clear the fault code and it is now showing no DTC's present.
The yellow dpf light is flashing and the red message is showing continued driving is required. However after letting the engine get to full temp 90 degrees and reving at 2000 revs for ages it still did not start a DPF regen. I am using OPCOM version 200603a. It is showing the DPF as being 255% full.

Can anyone advise where I can find the section to enablemedo do a Forced regen of he DPF in this version of OPCOM?

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
It should be under the Programming tab, if not it will be in Output tests, whats the dpf back pressure showing in live data.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Andyl,
Would dpf back pressure be the same as DPF Differential Pressure? If so this showed, 0Kpa. I did a few snapshots and recording of live data at different points. They were saved as csv files but but when trying to upload them they are not supported files. How do I share these?.
This was all done with the car on the driveway as it is not currntly insured, but the engine was at full temp and he revs varied between 2500 and 3000 to try and start the regen now the engine management light is off. The pressure reading might have been taken when it was idling though. What should it read and how should it change when refining the engine? Increase I would assume.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Seat (i know, different brand) won’t regen if wheels don’t move.
Imagine 400-500C cooking everything under a bonnet. Even with the radiator fan on.
Second, don’t trust a piece of bread for opcom data list interpretation on a B engine. Not even on an A.

·
15,367 Posts
Just change the file extension from .csv to .pdf to fool the forum.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
The reading of 0Kpa shows its below 10mb which is good, you would need to confirm this with a manometer if you suspect the sensor as faulty, i suspect the saturation level has reached such a level due to the faulty inlet manifold, now its been sorted i think the only way to reduce that level would be a dpf reset and then a forced regen followed by a dynamic one on the road, this should only be done if the dpf pressure is at a acceptable level, take readings at idle, 2000 and 3000rpm and report back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have tried converting the file to .pdf but it loses some of the columns for the live data files? I can do more at the weekend if some kind soul can advise which data I need to be recording. I'm mainly concerned with sorting the dpf for now. Injector #2 can wait for a later date, unless someone thinks they could be linked?

Attachments

·
15,367 Posts
No, you don't convert it to a PDF, you just change the file extension so the forum thinks its a PDF.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reading of 0Kpa shows its below 10mb which is good, you would need to confirm this with a manometer if you suspect the sensor as faulty, i suspect the saturation level has reached such a level due to the faulty inlet manifold, now its been sorted i think the only way to reduce that level would be a dpf reset and then a forced regen followed by a dynamic one on the road, this should only be done if the dpf pressure is at a acceptable level, take readings at idle, 2000 and 3000rpm and report back.
Are there any previously done guides available on how to do a dpf re set and then a forced regen? I assume they are two separate things? Don't really want to do something wrong and mess the dpf up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts