Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Looking to settle a minor dispute in the marriatal home and wondering if someone can impart some advice.

We are picking up the New Vectra next week, and its cheaper (as always) to put Deb as the main driver and me as the named driver.

She already has fully comp insurance on her Clio which means that she could drive it home third party covered.

My company car insurance for the Beemer only covers me for cars owned by BMW UK so I can't drive it home insured under them. Since Deb is going to end up driving it for most of the time anyway ( we are giving the Clio back to the finance company once we meet the magic half way get out clause) she will eventually get insured on it anyway.

She has 5 years no claims - I got a stunning quote form Churchill yesterday for her and I on the Vectra, but she seems to think that she can only use her no claims bonus on one vehicle's insurance which would effectivley mean that to get insurance on the Vectra now we would have to declare that she has no no claims.

Surely this can't be right can it?!

PS - visited dayinsure.com who will insure me for the day for a tenner, but that's beside the point, I need to get my head round the whole !"having two insurance policies on 2 different vehicles" thing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just get a no claims certificate off your current insurance company. They should be able to fax it to you or post a copy. This certificates the amount of years no claims you have accrued. It is a transferable document and is required when you change insurers as they need proof of your no claims, so as to work your premium.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Yes Thats Right You Can Only Use No Claims On One Policy

L

·
0 Posts
Not quite...

Some insurance companies will allow you to use your no claims on 2 cars you own.

I know Liverpool Victoria do (very good prices also!) and there are one or two others as well.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Scott, I've just had a snoop around the net whilst I was waiting, which confirms what you've said.

I think I might have to think about Insuring her Clio Fully comp under my own insurance, its bound to be cheaper for me to insure a 1.2 Clio than a V6 Vectra.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Laidback

Problem is that she doesn't want to have to switch inurance companies either at the moment (She's with the AA). She needs to ring them tonight anyway to find out how much extra it will cost her to insure the Vectra compared to the Clio. I'm already a named driver on her current policy anyway so its not a major issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts