Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Insignia 2.0 SRI CDTI VX Line NAV
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was driving back from the shops, put my foot down a little bit, Turbo kicked in the all of a sudden lost power, loads of smoke (and I mean loads) from the back.

Oil pressure low stop now Warning came on and the not long after Engine Oil Low.

Only had new Turbo 6 months ago with Fresh Oil e.t.c
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Can any 1 please advise? Thanks.

·
16,492 Posts
What's the current oil level?

·
16,492 Posts
That vehicle has a bit of a reputation for low oil pressure due to hardening of the oil pickup seal as the engine approached 100,000 miles.
What is the mileage on yours?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That vehicle has a bit of a reputation for low oil pressure due to hardening of the oil pickup seal as the engine approached 100,000 miles.
What is the mileage on yours?
115,000 miles. Would that cause all the smoke e.t.c. also is it a big job?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

·
16,492 Posts
If the oil pressure has really dropped dramatically it will have damaged the turbo bearings as well as the main bearings in the engine.
First thing is to get an oil pressure check carried out. If there has been a loss of pressure you are probably looking at a replacement engine, which of course is not going to be cheap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the oil pressure has really dropped dramatically it will have damaged the turbo bearings as well as the main bearings in the engine.
First thing is to get an oil pressure check carried out. If there has been a loss of pressure you are probably looking at a replacement engine, which of course is not going to be cheap.
I've got a mobile mechanic coming to have a look in the morning. Fingers Crossed 🤞🤞🤞 The damage isnt too much. Had the Car for years and then 2 turbos in the last 14 months. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I've got a mobile mechanic coming to have a look in the morning. Fingers Crossed 🤞🤞🤞 The damage isnt too much. Had the Car for years and then 2 turbos in the last 14 months. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.
To have two turbos would indicate something is seriously wrong with your engine I’d say

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To have two turbos would indicate something is seriously wrong with your engine I’d say
First turbo started to go around 114k, usual symptoms and since replacement, it's been running better than ever, no unusual noises, no dips in power, no turbo lag, no smoke, nothing.... Then all of a sudden this. It's a shame, coz I love the Car, not sure what to do with it if the engines gone?!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

The turbo is smashed to bits. God knows whats caused it. Hole on the right hand side for something.

Right mess!

·
16,492 Posts
Or it has had a poor oil supply and run the bearing causing it to hit the housing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't any1 have experience with Turbo Technics Turbos? Look to be rated very well. Ive clearly had issues with Garret Turbos so tempted by a change.

·
16,492 Posts
I don't think 🤔 the turbo is the issue, rather the end product of oil supply problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think 🤔 the turbo is the issue, rather the end product of oil supply problems.
There was no oil pressure lights, no error codes or anything before the Turbo suddenly went.

If there was an oil supply issue, would it not throw a code or anything like that?

·
16,492 Posts
Yes, but you said it had lost significant oil in the few days since you checked it and that doesn't happen unless there is a noticeable leak or it has gone out via the exhaust.
Next thing to get done is an oil pressure check done otherwise it will probably just eat the next turbo.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
745 Posts
With a new turbo there is the oil supply line also delivered. Old one might be clogged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts