Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running a 2.0 2011 Insignia, considering next move to a more recent model, but also moving down in engine size to the 1.6.

Has anyone else made this move? Any experiences to share with comparable fuel consumption, reliability, driveability, etc.?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Lower power output, more problems with adblue, factor in cost of adblue, and unproven engine reliability as Vx and other manufacturuers are changing engines every couple of years now

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's "adblue"?

Power isn't an issue for us. The 1.6 seems to have been in the range since 2016 at least, so not really getting your point on "every couple of years" ...

Have you actually moved from a 2.0 to 1.6?

·
11,979 Posts
AdBlue is a liquid that is added to a secondary fuel tank on some cars in order to meet the emissions standards.
Very common on HGVS too.

·
Premium Member
13,430 Posts
I've owned the 1.6d whisper engine for a year within an Astra K, engine initially was excellent, very fuel efficient, compared to the 2.0cdti. I average 45mpg from my current 2.0cdti J, the 1.6d I averaged 54mpg, 70 on a long run. Main issue with the 1.6d engines is the timing chain/tensioner, as the tension guides are made from plastic from what I can gather on the earlier models, like my previous 2016 Astra K. When these start to go the chain rattles badly, especially from cold, mine started at around 30k. Then it's around a grand to change them, usually have to drop the engine to do so. Then changing the oil pump chain too whilst you are on. So a big job & it's not uncommon for them to prematurely fail.
The 1.6d is a lot quieter too, compared to the older 2.0cdti 163 bhp engine. Especially from cold. Not as powerful obviously, but not that far off. I'm comparing the 1.6d (136), against the 2.0 cdti (163), though.
My choice would be the newer 2.0cdti (170), version within the Insignia. It's the whisper diesel version, so a bit quieter too & a bit more power. It has adblue, wouldn't put me off mind if I was going for another diesel. Adblue is not expensive, you don't top it up as much as filling your tank with diesel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts