Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I was wondering if someone could help me I have a 09 vauxhall insignia 2.0 diesel elite. My lights were working when I bought the veichle but now my drivers side daytime light main light does not work have checked fuses in main engine fuse box and appear fine. also when I pull stalk for main beam this does not work at all now. I took to Halfords and they told me the bulb was blown to which they stuck in another and still did not work. I was then told ballast might be the issue to which I swapped over the lights and hence the same problem drivers side still doesn't work. So would not appear to be ballast problem. It also comes up on dash afl warning lamp. Does anyone have any ideas would be very much appreciated if someone can help or has had similar problem

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Hi, not clear from your description, you "swapped over the lights and hence the same problem drivers side". Did you swap the light(bulb)s over or the ballast or both?
Did you try the 'dead' bulb on the other side?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, not clear from your description, you "swapped over the lights and hence the same problem drivers side". Did you swap the light(bulb)s over or the ballast or both?
Did you try the 'dead' bulb on the other side?
Sorry mike yes the drivers side wasn't working. I put the bulb and ballast from the drivers side in the passenger side headlight and it worked fine on the passenger side. It is very strange that I don't have main beam from the stalk aswell I have checked fuses in engine bay. Glove box. And rear fuse box for the headlight

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Sounds like either a broken supply wire of broken earth wire then.
Do you have access to a multi-meter to check 12v is present and continuity to -ve (ground/earth)?
That or a 12v bulb on a couple of pits of wire can test those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like either a broken supply wire of broken earth wire then.
Do you have access to a multi-meter to check 12v is present and continuity to -ve (ground/earth)?
That or a 12v bulb on a couple of pits of wire can test those.
Did clean all earth points will try and get hold of a multi meter and give that ago and let you know if that works many thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
25,101 Posts
Are these AFL type lights ? Ahh ok i see they are . If you turn your steering wheel do your lights move as should ? If not it's a possibility your AFL sensor needs replacing. It's a gadget on the steering system when it fails it affects your lights .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are these AFL type lights ? Ahh ok i see they are . If you turn your steering wheel do your lights move as should ? If not it's a possibility your AFL sensor needs replacing. It's a gadget on the steering system when it fails it affects your lights .
It has come up with afl warning lamp. Would this stop the lights from working is this something I could get and replace or would this be something that Vauxhall main dealer would have to do

·
Super Moderator
25,101 Posts
It does stop the headlight bulb main beam working . The sensor will need testing to prove wether it just needs recalibration or replacement. Will certainly need a garage that knows what their doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does stop the headlight bulb main beam working . The sensor will need testing to prove wether it just needs recalibration or replacement. Will certainly need a garage that knows what their doing.
Just out of interest would that stop the whole drivers side lights from working i.e. Daytime light sidelight main light. Basically the whole right side??

·
Super Moderator
25,101 Posts
Just out of interest would that stop the whole drivers side lights from working i.e. Daytime light sidelight main light. Basically the whole right side??
I know it stops the main beam from working . I would get the AFL investigated & the fault corrected & then hopefully all your lights will work again . However if all lights aren't working I've heard stories of AFL equipped Insignia needing a new headlamp unit which can cost around £890 .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it stops the main beam from working . I would get the AFL investigated & the fault corrected & then hopefully all your lights will work again . However if all lights aren't working I've heard stories of AFL equipped Insignia needing a new headlamp unit which can cost around £890 .
Ouch. Thanks for the advice will start saving for that one lol

·
Super Moderator
25,101 Posts
Ouch. Thanks for the advice will start saving for that one lol
Well hopefully it doesn't come to that . Your AFL can sometimes be showing just for a blown bulb but as you've checked & changed the bulbs then it could be something else like say the control unit or that sensor . Most owners get the fault code U1522 .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well hopefully it doesn't come to that . Your AFL can sometimes be showing just for a blown bulb but as you've checked & changed the bulbs then it could be something else like say the control unit or that sensor . Most owners get the fault code U1522 .
Is the u1522 code diagnostic and would that be for a blown bulb or for sensor or control unit just trying to get an outlay on what it would cost guessing the £900 being worst case scenario?

·
Super Moderator
25,101 Posts
Is the u1522 code diagnostic and would that be for a blown bulb or for sensor or control unit just trying to get an outlay on what it would cost guessing the £900 being worst case scenario?
If you get that code it means roughly the following , K26 headlamp control module lost communication with device . Headlamp assembly right hand side.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I would hope anything 'mechanical' in the AFL could be fixed somehow. Hopefully if the fault is in the AFL, it might be the control module. Many of those seem available on eBay for £30-£100ish.
Then there's always breakers for a whole unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.