Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having much luck with the Insignia i bought..... firstly I have had to replace the engine and flywheel. Now I have a problem with the single key that I have. I can unlock the car with key and the alarm goes off. I press the 'lock' button on the remote and the alarm disarms and I can drive the car.

I took the key to Timpsons and the 'unlock' button doesnt send a signal so at the moment I cant unlock the rear door (estate version) so is pretty much useless when I want to go shopping. Wife wants to kill me at this stage..

I have looked through the booklets I have and I don't have a key code. So what is the next step? Obviously avoid the main Vauxhall dealerships.

Does anyone have any recommendations of anyone in the East Midlands who can sort me out with a new internal transmitter and coding? I would imagine it would have to be someone who can code the key?

·
15,367 Posts
Could Timpsons not just clone your current key?

·
Registered
2016 Insignia 2.0 cdti Elite Nav
42 Posts
Have you had the key fob apart to look at the switches on the circuit board, new key fob cases are available as the push buttons do disintegrate and may not be pushing down on the circuit board, but certainly only having one key is asking for trouble.
I cant see any mobile locksmith doing it much cheaper so Timpsons is probably the quick fix.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
I have looked through the booklets I have and I don't have a key code. So what is the next step? Obviously avoid the main Vauxhall dealerships.
Does anyone have any recommendations of anyone in the East Midlands who can sort me out with a new internal transmitter and coding? I would imagine it would have to be someone who can code the key?
Thinking about a new key rather than cloning yours,not having the key code isn't a major issue,
if it's a flip key you can get a blade cut to a photo,or just swap the blade over to any replacement.
The bigger problem is if you haven't got the security code to enable the key programming (security card) you can get this from a dealer by producing the v5 and some cash or with the right equipment it can be extracted from your car.
Regarding programming a new key,it can be done DIY with an opcom and replacement keys available on ebay
either using Chinese copies like this
or a cheap genuine key like this
Personally i'd go for a genuine key as the copies can be hit and miss for successful programming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car (an estate) only came with a 2 button remote. I did replace the case with a new one but the internal open button has failed. Went to Bouldins in Leicester and got a cloned key for £120. When the guy was almost finished we were chatting and were discussing opening the tailgate. Is the estate supposed to have a 3 button remote? Have already paid for an engine replacement this month as well as the key ( at least it unlocks the doors now) so if if needs a 3 button will have to wait for my next pay day...

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
Is it power opening tailgate ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never had the rear door open so i honestly dont know. It is the 130hp model with manual rear windows so i doubt it.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
I can check with the reg number
I'm fairly sure the third button is for power tailgate only

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Valer the reg is MV 11 JWY. I went to the back of the car and pushed the open button but there is no action at the back of the car....

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
It comes up as manual opening tailgate,
do a fuse check first,F34 & F35 in the UEC plus F10 & F15 in the rear body fuse block

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Valer. Have checked the fuses and they are OK. Am getting power to the back fuse box so will strip out the rear panel on the door this weekend and try and trace back using the wiring diagram in the Haynes guide.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
@Plym Ian may well be right,water in the tailgate module,next thing to check it's fairly common

Reactions: Dave31ZA

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting power to the switch ok. But cant get the switch out? How are you supposed to do it? I tried to undo all of the nuts I could see and prise off the chrome trim outside but it didn't want to come off. I didn't want to force it and break something.
I am unfortunately not a auto electrician so need a bit of guidance. I was thinking if I by-passed the switch by feeding the power between the two green wires in the switch plug that the catch would release but nothing....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts