Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m hoping someone may be able to help. I have a 64 plate 2.0 diesel eco flex insignia which has an intermittent power steering fault.

The problem generally only appears when either the air temperature is high or the engine is up to temperature, cold start for the most part is fine.

I have read lots of threads and have spoken to a dealership and an independent mechanic. When the car was taken to the dealership they said there is a fault with the sensor which means the whole steering rack needs replacing at £2200. I consider this to be an extortionate amount of money and am aware that there can be a number of different things that can result in EPS issues. Having spoken to an independent who has seen this issue before, he has said that replacing the steering rack would not solve the issue and that the problem is with the connection from the steering rack to the battery.

I’m therefore keen to find out if anyone else has experienced this exact issue and what you found resolved the issue?

There was a fault found under diagnostics which simply said ‘sensor’ so i’m told though i’m sure this can’t be the case as it should be a code.

I know that the battery and alternator can cause issues so I have checked these today. The battery had a reading of 12.2v with the engine cold and 14.6v when the engine was on. The reading immediately after the engine was turned back was 12.8v. At 12.2v I believe the battery to be working at 50% so assume this should definitely be changed but will this make a difference to the power steering?

Thank you for any assistance.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
27,033 Posts
Can the independent not do the prescribed fix ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. Yes he could, i’m just looking to find out what other people’s experiences have been and whether it has been something a lot less than the actual steering rack. Also looking to find out if the battery should be replaced as a starting point.

·
Super Moderator
27,033 Posts
Thank you for your response. Yes he could, i’m just looking to find out what other people’s experiences have been and whether it has been something a lot less than the actual steering rack. Also looking to find out if the battery should be replaced as a starting point.
Your battery doesn’t look bad & your voltage looks fine.
So I’d start with what the independent quoted & see if that does in fact cure it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts