Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Bought a 2013 insig estate and the cooler header tank full of oil, engine gets red hot (smoke out of dipstick port when dipstick removed).

But car runs perfect, engine sounds perfect, temp gauge reads 50 (though that means it's not working I think).

No white smoke from exhaust, no issues starting.

So, having googled, have seen some indication it could be oil cooler or oil cooler seals.

Or do any of you think that it's the head gasket gone and the car is off to the breakers?

Any advice welcomed and highly appreciated. I dont know a deal about motors.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,981 Posts
I suppose you would have to either replace the cooler or see if there are any gaskets available or try and bypass it by joining the two coolant hoses and see if you still get oil in the header tank.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Take the oil filler cap off and have a look to see if there is any cream/mayo looking sludge on the underneath, if so then it could be head gasket, if that's clear then do look at the cooler replacement, might be worth changing the header tank too as it will be contaminated now, cheap enough to buy on ebay, let's hope that it's just the cooler gaskets---Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose you would have to either replace the cooler or see if there are any gaskets available or try and bypass it by joining the two coolant hoses and see if you still get oil in the header tank.
Great advice. What do you think it sounds like? Il bypass it as you say and then see.

Do a coolant flush to get rid of all oil on the system first and take it from there.

Thanks Andy
Take the oil filler cap off and have a look to see if there is any cream/mayo looking sludge on the underneath, if so then it could be head gasket, if that's clear then do look at the cooler replacement, might be worth changing the header tank too as it will be contaminated now, cheap enough to buy on ebay, let's hope that it's just the cooler gaskets---Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes mo cream or mayo on the filler car, oil in the engine looks ok.

Will defo replace header tank as its filthy haha.

Fingers crossed indeed and many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
No problem, I just bought a new header tank from ebay the one with the sensor and it was only £20 - - -

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
No mine was fine it's just that I needed a header tank cap as they tend to crack, got the cap off a mate of mine and just decided to change the header tank, easy job-just drop enough coolant until the tank is empty then just remove the hoses and the electrical connector and lift the tank upwards, no need to remove anything else and just replace everything with the new tank in place - - - Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts