Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone interested in having a LED indicator showing DPF regeneration / being burning out?

Takes only a few minutes to fit it in.

Just found this on YouTube.

The LED can be connected to the side mirrors or rear defrost window as,
This is connected to the rear window heater as well.
To have it working properly you may have to to turn automatic rear window defrost option off in your car.

This trick may work on other vehicles as well.

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,569 Posts
Anyone interested in having a LED indicator showing DPF regeneration / being burning out?

Takes only a few minutes to fit it in.

I'm going to have one on mine.

Just found this on YouTube.

This is connected to the rear window heater so you have to turn automatic rear window defrost option off.

This trick may work on other vehicles as well.

Are you selling this ?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope,
you can do it for yourself very easy. Just buy a 12v LED on eBay and then you can fit it onto your car using the video above. If any problems then I'm happy to translate and help you.
Total costs for this max 5£.

You can choose any colour you want of 12v LED

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262761330655

And fit it anywhere you want, but the easiest place is like on the pictures

Or you can place it inside the speaker

This is the way you have to connect it on plastic socket/connector

That's how it looks like,
This is a 5mm LED, But I would recommend 3mm LED.
5mm LED might be to bright at the night.

Few more pictures found on the Web

And another short video

Here's LED in the boot, seen clearly in the rear mirror

Another one fitted by the foot rest

Here's the speaker from the back so you can see how it's attached on the car.

This trick works on the mirrors on both sides.

DPF regeneration may take from 6-7 minutes up to 10-15 minutes, depending on your travelling circumstances, traffic, speed etc.

Recommendations are to keep around 2000rpm on the clock while in regeneration process.

While stationary and/or in the traffic than DO NOT turn the engine off.

Happy fittings .

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the dpf starts it's regeneration process, ecu turns on the rear window and mirrors heating to establish the power needed for the car to run properly under load and regenerate dpf.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Before the dpf starts it's regeneration process, ecu turns on the rear window and mirrors heating to establish the power needed for the car to run properly under load and regenerate dpf.

I would have thought that would put extra strain on the power. But i learn everyday with these cars lol

·
Super Moderator
25,569 Posts
In all honesty i can't see this catching on in a big way , if it was needed car manufacturers would have fitted a similar type of warning for drivers that the engine was doing a regen . I have owned a DPF car & in the years i drove it i never had any reason to know when the DPF was regenerating , it just got on with doing its regeneration.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not all of the owners need it but some of them would like to know that the regeneration process has begun and for our wife's this could be a great idea so they won't turn off the engine while the regeneration is in place

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Peter01

In the foto of the connector block you show the wires from the LED.

How did you fix them to the block, I have mine off and the pins seem so tight there is no room to squeeze the wires in, and I can't see any way to remove the pins to connect the wires.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That picture is to show you how to connect your LED, and the pins that you have to use to get it working properly.

You can use a soldering gun and than secure wires with some tape.
Basically On the pictures you have a view of the pins in to which ones you have to connect your LED.

You can try to take the pins out of the plastic connector and using soldering gun fit them as on the pictures.

To check if the LED works, turn your rear window heater/defrost ON, LED should goes ON.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Peter - since posting I found a couple of the wire connector clips that splice into a wire to add a branch, and as I don't have a solder gun I used those.

All connected and working.

Thanks for your post, explanation, and assistance.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one, I'm on holiday now so I have a limited access to the Internet

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those who want to keep an eye on their DPF and have more information about regeneration process, I can suggest an app for android mobile phones here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insigniadpfgmail.opldpfmonitorfree

But to have it working you will need to order a obd2 tool called ELM327 like this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292311533096

Or this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272840164906

Than plug it into your obd2 interface on your car and turn your app on it will show you the level of DPF and some other statistics. Language is set automatically to your default language in your phone.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,459 Posts
In all honesty i can't see this catching on in a big way , if it was needed car manufacturers would have fitted a similar type of warning for drivers that the engine was doing a regen . I have owned a DPF car & in the years i drove it i never had any reason to know when the DPF was regenerating , it just got on with doing its regeneration.
I find my retro fitted led light fitted to my Astra very useful. The only way you realise it's having a regen is when the tickover increases slightly. If you pull your key out during a regen the fan comes on, annoyingly to cool the filter down. Car sounds like a hovercraft for around two minutes. Then your looking at another couple of driving cycles for the dpf to regen again. A failed regeneration is a waste of fuel too. I do not always check my tickover, prior to pulling the key out. Neither are the regens done in an intelligent way. I.e I could take my car out for an hours run. Then my next trip would be 15 minutes, the car goes into a regen at the end of this trip. Think it works on how full the filter is, rather than your driving style.
I just find the light handy. My car regens around once every 2 weeks. When it goes into one I keep driving until it's finished. Whether I'm on a long or short trip. Saves fuel too, rather than failing a regen to start another. Regens with the 2.0cdtis often catch you out. The 2.0cdti will also regen around town, stop and start driving. As long as you keep driving. Most of my regens last for around 7 minutes or so. Static also possible, not that I'd advise that.
You can also fit different types of led warning lights, as I have done. Not just a single bulb type.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not only that.
When you disturb / break the regeneration process, some little part of diesel gets in to to the oil system and diesel mix with oil what makes oil losing it's properties and it does not protect the engine as should. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I first got my siggy I noticed that sometimes the fan would run on after I stopped.

I asked here what could be the cause and had all sorts of replies which suggested I spend £100+ at a dealer to have a bracket changed - the dealer even said it would cure my problem.

I found a post about a DPF indicator mod and fitted a warning led. Now I make sure I never stop whilst a regen is in progress.

Guess what - the fan run on has disappeared - and the cost of curing it - less than a pound for an led and 20 minutes of my time to fit it.

·
Premium Member
13,459 Posts
When I first got my siggy I noticed that sometimes the fan would run on after I stopped.

I asked here what could be the cause and had all sorts of replies which suggested I spend £100+ at a dealer to have a bracket changed - the dealer even said it would cure my problem.

I found a post about a DPF indicator mod and fitted a warning led. Now I make sure I never stop whilst a regen is in progress.

Guess what - the fan run on has disappeared - and the cost of curing it - less than a pound for an led and 20 minutes of my time to fit it.
Took me a while to work that one out to too lol. I now 99% of the time let the regen complete. Saves going into hovercraft mode. Could even hear it from inside my house.

·
Premium Member
13,459 Posts
Not only that.
When you disturb / break the regeneration process, some little part of diesel gets in to to the oil system and diesel mix with oil what makes oil losing it's properties and it does not protect the engine as should. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

It must be very marginal though, I think most of the unused diesel must only enter the engine when the dpf filter is at the blocked stage. Which in turn eventually could cause the dreaded engine overrun. My car oil has never gone over the full dipstick level. Even after numerous regen failures over a year period, but not to the extent of the filter blocking though. Neither have I ever topped it up between services. I would have preferred vaux to have fitted a dpf in progress light to start with.
I was quite surprised how long the engine oil seems to keep clean (visually), after an oil change. Unlike most other diesels I've owned. Although they were dpf free.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those who doesn't know or are interested about the dpf regeneration,

The best and optimal way for dpf regeneration is to drive with a constant speed on 5 or 6 gear and keep it at around 2000-2500rpm max.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts