Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Wondering if any of you have experienced condensation on the bi xenon afl headlamps? I had the ballast changed - it was full of water. It went again a few days later. I can only assume the condensation inside the lamp is getting through to it. Plus, the ridiculous placement inside the arch doesn’t help. I’m not looking forward to nearly £700 for a replacement lamp, so any advice would be welcome. Is there a fix to stop the condensation for example? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi ktwin
Had this problem on my 2013 preface elite with condensation in one headlight. Found the problem was the seal had failed where the clear perplex lens was glued to the black body about halfway along the top of the headlight unit.
Cured by removing entire headlight unit reselling with silicon sealant on the joint around the entire headlight unit, drying out with a hairdryer and placing a silica gel sachet inside headlight.
The seal had failed along the top just inwards of a overlapping section about half way along.
It took 2 attempts to stop the condensation successfully but it was cheaper than a new afl headlight.
Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Radman66, thanks for getting back to me. Great advice. I’ve finally found a YouTube clip that tells me how to remove it all. Now, with your advice, I can hopefully fix the headlight rather than forking out £700! I’ve got a ballast on order. I had it replaced and it went a couple of days later ?. Fingers crossed I can fix it myself. I’ve got plenty of time at the moment!! Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Ktwin
The failure in the seal wasn’t obvious but had a fair bit of condensation in headlight with drops of water in lower parts.
I also put tape over the upper joint. It did take 2 attempts but after the first attempt a could see a film of water for about 2 cms in the upper joint. Headlight has been good for about 6 months now, I did it as soon as I noticed condensation as I knew how much a replacement was, best of luck, please report on your outcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. Ballast doesn’t arrive for a few days so will get it all apart before then. Hopefully I won’t break anything!! Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Ktwin
The failure in the seal wasn’t obvious but had a fair bit of condensation in headlight with drops of water in lower parts.
I also put tape over the upper joint. It did take 2 attempts but after the first attempt a could see a film of water for about 2 cms in the upper joint. Headlight has been good for about 6 months now, I did it as soon as I noticed condensation as I knew how much a replacement was, best of luck, please report on your outcome.
So I’ve managed to remove the headlight without having to remove the whole bumper. Fortunately the light had been removed before and whoever put it back didn’t put the most difficult to get to bolt back. It’s not going anywhere anyway. Amazingly sunny day to let it dry completely. Looks like the water in, it ran straight into the ballast after only a few days. So I’ve done two lots of sealant around the whole light just to be sure. There was a section underneath where the sealant appeared to ooze under the clear perspex a few mm. Maybe that was the spot. So now to leave it outside overnight to see what happens ??

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Ktwin
I’ve managed to remove the headlight without having to remove the whole bumper. Fortunately the light had been removed before and whoever put it back didn’t put the most difficult to get to bolt back. It’s not going anywhere anyway. Amazingly sunny day to let it dry completely. Looks like the water in, it ran straight into the ballast after only a few days. So I’ve done two lots of sealant around the whole light just to be sure. There was a section underneath where the sealant appeared to ooze under the clear perspex a few mm. Maybe that was the spot. So now to leave it outside overnight to see what happens ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So overnight there is no condensation at all. Didn’t take long to get it back in and it’s all working well. If anyone is reading this I removed the fuses (49 and 64 in my case for the drivers side) from the outset. There are also videos on YouTube showing how to remove the bumper. In my case, because the most difficult to get to bolt up in the bumper was already removed, I only had to remove the 3 screws in the arch and those along the top. The bumper can be pulled back far enough to access the bolts/screws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. Wondering if any of you have experienced condensation on the bi xenon afl headlamps? I had the ballast changed - it was full of water. It went again a few days later. I can only assume the condensation inside the lamp is getting through to it. Plus, the ridiculous placement inside the arch doesn’t help. I’m not looking forward to nearly £700 for a replacement lamp, so any advice would be welcome. Is there a fix to stop the condensation for example? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem, I have changed the balast but stil not working,before I had afl lamp,and level.malfunction ,naw it only shows check right beam lightI have turned the weals few times right and left but still the same light check right beam for the condensation I have removed the caps on the lights to stop condensation to form but don't know why the light still not working after changed the ballast

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check the socket the ballast plugs into. It can corrode with the moisture. I sprayed WD40 in it and scrubbed. I also got a pin and pushed it in and out of the terminal holes to be sure. Sounds daft but have you also swapped the bulbs around to check that too? I nearly spent £40 on one before trying a swap only to find it was the ballast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
O had new bulbs on ,I have seen the socket was a bit corpse I used a brush to clean it but I have not sprayed WD 40 ,before I changed the ballast I had it at a garage for a check and they said it was likely to be the ballast I had a quote for £300 to change the ballast it was to expensive and I have done it myself but naw still not working ,I will check the afl sensor tomorrow ,I hope o don't have to change the whole unit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a ballast off eBay. It was clearly a cheap copy. The light took a few seconds to come on and I still got the fault warnings. Sourced a hella ballast and it’s ok now. Check the fuses too if you’ve not. Not sure which as yours seems to be opposite side to mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts