Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a silly stressful day i ended up putting £20 of petrol in my insignia 2.0 CDTI eco flex 2010

I know silly me :(

I have been researching all night on how to fix it, fuel dr (AA) wants £235+VAT so that is a no go.

I used to have a mondeo and you could get to the fuel tank from under the back seat, but it seems not so on the insignia.

What is the best way for me to fix this? i was looking on YT and seen someone do a paper clip thing in the fuel relay socket, ive been trying to see what pins / where to put it. but not sure.

What is the easiest way for me to go about getting the petrol out of the car?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Worn Out Member
7,066 Posts
Obviously there's a few ways to tackle draining a fuel tank,
you'll need to go carefully if you intend to use the in-tank pump to pull the fuel up,
i cant say it's something i'd really recommend,and of course it's at your risk.
If you've already driven the car the petrol may already have got to the HP pump and they really don't like running without the lubrication diesel provides.
1/how much fuel in total is in the tank ? make sure you have enough cans to take it
2/pull the inlet pipe off the fuel filter and extract from there by extending with hose
3/don't be tempted to extract all the fuel as the LP pumps don't like running dry
4/after removing the relay,run the LP pump by bridging the fuel pump relay contacts 30 & 87 or put 12v straight to 87

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was only about a gallon in the tank before i put in £20 worth of petrol. I don;t need to do the fuel pump relay way if there is a better way?
Which way would you suggest? if not the relay way?

Thank you for your help

·
14,538 Posts
I did the same to my Corsa, even made sure I brimmed the tank!
I took the fuel line from the filter, jacked the car as high as I could and pulled the fuel line down underneath the car so I could drain it out.
Not sure if that would work with the in tank pump though. Other than that see if you can get the breather pipe off the tank and siphon from there.

I used the drained fuel in our ride on mower, it smoked like crazy but better than wasting it.

·
Registered
Astra 1.3 cdti Estate 2014.
217 Posts
Done with corsa once just used in car pump with another car on jump leads £30 worth didn't cause any problems done it over a hours time .

·
Registered
2003 Vauxhall Astra G 1.6 8v Active.
683 Posts
Sorry to hear of your stress.

I have heard good things about Fuel Doctor. Have a google, there might be someone near you that could do it for a lot less than the AA's £282 !

I have nearly done this when we had one diesel and one petrol car! So much easier with two petrol cars, but still double check on every fill as its so easily done.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
You may find that your insurance covers you, at a cost of no claims presumably, mine does. It doesn't cover you for repairs so if you have damaged anything that would be down to you but it does cover the cost of draining the tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear of your stress.

I have heard good things about Fuel Doctor. Have a google, there might be someone near you that could do it for a lot less than the AA's £282 !

I have nearly done this when we had one diesel and one petrol car! So much easier with two petrol cars, but still double check on every fill as its so easily done.
Im so used to my Vauxhall Omega 2.6 24v, had it since 2008 and only bought this Insignia a few months ago as the Omega is heavy on the pocket with my lead right foot (haha)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to get a professional to do it in the end. After everyone's advice, best safe than sorry i thought so I got on google and phoned a few people up, i found Wrong Fuel Wizard from stoke, they came out within an hour and only charged me £145, and they put £20 of diesel in for me too. A friendly man he was. The car started first time. Let's hope no damage is done.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

·
14,538 Posts
Do they take the contaminated fuel away too?

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I used the drained fuel in our ride on mower, it smoked like crazy but better than wasting it.
A few years ago, I had a Ferguson T20 tractor which started on petrol, then turned over to kerosene (TVO) when hot.
I had a contact at a garage that ran a recovery service, and they had a tank of diesel/petrol mix that had been drained from misfueled cars.
As they had to pay to get it taken away, they were very happy for me to take a couple of five gallon drums off them every so often, the old Fergie ran a treat on it!

Reactions: Boroboy and andy_v

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Yea they do, do easy. Knocked on door took keys, did their thing, 15 mins ish later knocked door give me keys back, paid them and got receipt. Simple. Just drove car a few miles away now, runs sweet. Im a happy bunny.
I would have watch what he done so next time if it happens you could save yourself money lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
On my last 1.7dti Astra I did the same as Karper above; had a gallon left in the tank and brimmed it with 10+ gals petrol (always fill to monitor mpg) - realised when I went to pay! Called 'wrong fuel doctor' and they had a chap on the forecourt in c30mins. Initially he tried to get a pipe down the fuel filler neck, but seemingly an anti theft/siphon block was in place. So up with back seat and loosened off the inspection plate on top of the tank, pipe in and pumped it out to a huge tank in the back of his van. I had to part with c 130 folding whisky vouchers! Back in the day, I remember hearing that the odd gallon of diesel in a tank full of petrol acted like Redex ucl; on that basis I'd donated 11 gals of pre-mixed fuel.

·
14,538 Posts
I managed to drive about 4 miles after I had done it and only stopped when I noticed huge clouds of white smoke pouring out of the back. The old Corsa diesel ran quite nicely on petrol and suffered no lasting effects because I did another 50,000 odd miles after that.
Couldn't get away with it on a modern common rail diesel.

Reactions: Alan G H
1 - 16 of 16 Posts