Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
So I'm no mechanic that's for sure but I have found I have a P0301 fault code. This says I have a misfire on cylinder 1. I understand cylinder 1 doesn't always mean the first cylinder in the row but more the first firing cylinder...?
So I've taken the coil pack out (easy job, even for a thicky like me) and here are some images. You can see the second coil in from the socket the end has broken off and is stuck up in the rubber cap. The first one the plastic is broke at the top and the other 2 have cracks in the plastic.... It looks like this is a one piece bit of kit (not individual coils that I could swap around for testing) so do you guys think this is the issue and should I buy a new kit anyway. The spark plugs look ok and were only changed a short while ago... Cheers.
Gary

·
12,755 Posts
Looks like that is not an original coil so has been replaced previously.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you are right :) but do you think this could be the reason for a misfire on cylinder 1, would the second cylinder in be cylinder 1 re the firing sequence

·
12,755 Posts
No, cylinder one is on the left as you face the engine.

·
Worn Out Member
5,811 Posts
It could well be a coil pack issue,that looks like a knock off Chinese copy part you have there,
so definitely suspect,
swap a couple of plugs over and see if the code changes to the cylinder you've moved plug 1 to

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could well be a coil pack issue,that looks like a knock off Chinese copy part you have there,
so definitely suspect,
swap a couple of plugs over and see if the code changes to the cylinder you've moved plug 1 to
I forgot to say the first thing I did was swap the plugs around. They are pretty new and look ok but yes, i did that first and the same code comes up. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
And if you are going to get a replacement then try and go for a Delphi branded one---these are genuine or OEM parts--if you go the cheap route its a case of buy cheap--buy twice-------Dave

·
Worn Out Member
5,811 Posts
I forgot to say the first thing I did was swap the plugs around. They are pretty new and look ok but yes, i did that first and the same code comes up. Cheers
Yes change the pack,it needs to be oem or genuine.
Genuine can be picked up for sensible money if you can wait a few days

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And if you are going to get a replacement then try and go for a Delphi branded one---these are genuine or OEM parts--if you go the cheap route its a case of buy cheap--buy twice-------Dave
So as I've swapped the plugs around I thought the best thing to do is buy a coil pack... £33 on ebay, no brand and 3-4 days to arrive and will it really be the correct part... £102 from Euro Parts delivered later today... Well I've gone for the HAAS one from Euro Car Parts, let's hope that's the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Worn Out Member
5,811 Posts
Cancel the order,Haas are rubbish

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
They do sell a load of crap along with the circoli thermostats that they palm off onto people ----total rubbish---buy decent---Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I thought you might like to hear the results...

So firstly a recap, the engine warning light came on in orange and flashing along with the esp (antiskid) light in orange but not flashing. The car went into what I would call "limp mode" as in it had loss of power etc.

After buying a Bluetooth obd2 scanner from Amazon for £10 I got a P0301 code....

After advice from here and the dreaded Facebook friends I swapped the spark plugs around and had the same result. So I decided to buy a new ignition coil pack as the old one was physically faulty (plastic was brittle and broke re image). So I cleared the fault, took the old coil pack out, fitted the new coil pack and boom, we have lift of Houston. It runs so smooth, in fact I now realise it wasn't so smooth for the last month.

So thanks people for your advice and help, it just goes to show with groups like this and youtube even people like me can attempt a simple fix.

Attachments

·
12,755 Posts
So what make did you buy in the end?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what make did you buy in the end?
I just got the HAAS one as I needed it NOW lol It was tge only one I coukd get this bank holiday weekend. I'm planning on selling the car now as it was just a stop gap between something sporty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts