Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a clunk noise when i take up drive allmost as if it was an engine mount ive had it looked at all mounts are fine but ive been told its probably the dual mass flywheel any one else had the same issue thanks

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I had a clunk on an insignia when pulling away quite hard,it turned out that one of the front hub nuts had just loosened very slightly and it was the drive shaft twisting in the splines of the hub,simple fix,I just re-tourqed (air gunned FT) the hub nuts and noise went.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Get a stick or bit of wood about 2 foot long or a long screwdriver, start the car and get some one to rev it slightly, stick one end of the wood or screwdriver on the bell housing and the other to your ear and listen for any knocking or chattering, this works as a stethoscope so you can hear whats going on in the bell housing.

Also whats the age and mileage of your car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get a stick or bit of wood about 2 foot long or a long screwdriver, start the car and get some one to rev it slightly, stick one end of the wood or screwdriver on the bell housing and the other to your ear and listen for any knocking or chattering, this works as a stethoscope so you can hear whats going on in the bell housing.

its a 2010 modle and it done 40,000 miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

its a 2010 modle and it done 40,000 miles
also theres no cluch judder no vibration nothing gear change is smooth just an anoying clonk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Harrydog1....I had the exact same problem on my Vauxhall Insignia(2011). Had the front hubs replaced 3 yrs ago around 8 months later the knocking started, exactly as described. I was convinced it was the Clutch as it started slipping a short while later. Clutch replaced...knocking still there...I was fed up with it and not prepared to shell out money in search of the fault.
My wife tonight said its getting worse, so after reading the post by Harrydog1, I went and checked the hub nuts...convinced they would be tight from having the Clutch replaced at £1050. Shocked to find the hub nuts finger tight ( to think I towed a caravan through Spain...wife still in shock) Now tight and knocking gone. Well done Harrydog1...your a super star.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just fixed exact same thing, passenger side hub nut loose, been driving me crazy for months thank you so much , I had a sense of relief wash over me after I took it for a spin, car was close to being scrapped 😄

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just fixed exact same thing, passenger side hub nut loose, been driving me crazy for months thank you so much , I had a sense of relief wash over me after I took it for a spin, car was close to being scrapped 😄
Probably a bit late to the conversation but anyway... Have a small clunk sound whenever I release the accelerator slow or fast, it happens ever time. This just started 3 days ago. Would ye say it's probably the hub nut. It's a 2011 insignia 2.0d 160.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably a bit late to the conversation but anyway... Have a small clunk sound whenever I release the accelerator slow or fast, it happens ever time. This just started 3 days ago. Would ye say it's probably the hub nut. It's a 2011 insignia 2.0d 160.
Take off the centre caps and check the large center nut easy to do 5 minute job

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was the same couldn't believe it, now I just have to fix everything else !! Niggling things but so annoying, replaced all the abs sensors light still on now replacing abs module and hope for the best , great when they run well , crap when they misbehave, although mine is a 2010 so old girl now!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts