Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience. My car (Insignia 1.8 - A18XER engine) has developed a coolant leak where the engine meats the thermostat housing.

I am thinking it is the gasket between the thermostat housing and the engine, but I also know that sometimes the thermostat hosing can also break and develop a leak. Does anyone have any experience if this is a gasket problem or I am looking at getting a new thermostat housing? Are there any particular places the thermostat housing breaks?

IMG_20200807_151831~3.jpg

TIA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’d say renew both anyway as it looks like it’s a plastic housing which will likely end up leaking over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thermostat itself is actually less than half a year old. I had it replaced in precaution with a OEM Febi Bilstein one. However the thermostat housing itself is still the first one.

I actually would not mind changing the whole housing. But the car is going on sale at the end of this month. That is why I was asking :).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh well for peace of mind I’d get it done for the next owner, you’ll have to take the housing off to get to the gasket anyway, or if it’s just a small drip try tightening the bolts up and see if that makes a difference.

About 10 years ago I had a similar issue on a Ford Mondeo, slight weep from the thermostat housing, I just tightened the bolts up and kept an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your probably right. But to be honest. I took good care of the car for the time I had it and it has only received the best od car parts. But now it is time for it to go.

I don't want to sell a car with a fault, but I also don't want to spent more on it as necessary. So I will let the new owner decide how he will take care of it :).

I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience where or if the thermostat housing also breaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts