Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Meriva starts and drives perfectly with plenty of power but the last few days it has a problem at idle. Usually happens when it's up to temperature 馃尅. If I leave it idle it more often than not suddenly sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. It has never cut out but behaves exactly the same as if you use the output test in OpCom to turn of an injector.

Fuel filter was changed last year and I've not done more than a few thousand miles since.

I suppose the next thing to do is get one of those OpCom thingies on it and capture some live data?

1.7 CDTI Z17DTH 2006 Denso

Reactions: Fred Bassett

Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
You could remove each injector plug, one at a time, when engine is idling, if the engine cuts out then it's not that injector that's the problem. If you remove a plug and engine doesn't cut out, or change how it sounds then you've found the cylinder where the issue is to start looking further.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can do the same via the output tests.
I know at least one injector is cutting out, just got to work out which one.
I suppose when it does it I could turn off each in turn to find which one(s) don't make any difference 馃

Reactions: vince bolam

Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
ah, I misread your post as you were going to have to purchase an Opcom first. I was just suggesting to pull the plugs if you didn't have Opcom handy. Check your EGR is opening and closing with Opcom when you at it. If it's sticking open then you'll get rough idle? Either way, hope you work out what's up )

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea about the EGR, will check that too.

Registered
Mine did something similar but would through up misfire fault code at idle. Still drove ok with plenty power no elm light or smoke out the exhaust. I spoke to a guy at the local diagnostic shop who said the issue was most probably burnt injector tip which would be ok under load but give an erratic spray pattern at idle hence the misfire. I checked all injector plugs with node light and the wiring back to Ecu with no issues. Not sure if that鈥檚 of any help.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, running out of cars.

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can start the Touran now. :D

Going to stick the laptop 馃捇 on the Meriva when I get to the girlfriend's place after a decent run, which is when it seems to play up more.

Worth popping the plastic cover off the engine to look at the injector wiring too I suppose.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been looking for noid lights which is what I thought I could use to watch the injector pulse but the ones I am seeing state not for diesels. So what do people use?

Registered
Hi koi this is the set I bought
Mods please delete if not allowed.
I replaced the fuel filter and filled housing with forte diesel cleaner ran for 30 seconds and allowed to sit overnight thought that had cured mine but only lasted a couple of weeks. It鈥檚 not cheap stuff though

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From Andyl 's reply by PM I wouldn't be surprised if it is temperature related. I was playing about with Torque Pro the other night and noticed my temperature 馃尅was nearly 100掳 and my temperature never gets over 90掳 normally. This was at 10:30PM so not in the heat of the day. Coolant level fine.
Can't help feeling there is a connection between the dodgy idle and the increased running temperature.
Getting a decent run in the morning so we'll see if OpCom can pick anything up.

Registered
Meriva A like to burn the cooling fan resistor block. At least from what I can see on petrol engines. They use 3 relays for 4 speed steps. Resistor block can be ordered separately.

Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what alerted me to the increase in temperature, the cooling fan had kicked in. Only ever heard it once before when a small rubber hose had sprung a leak, normally the engine always runs around 85掳 even when fully warmed up.

@TTT I've tried the cooling fan relay output tests in OpCom but they have never worked so no idea if I have one speed or more simply because the fan coming on is a rare event.8

Registered
Opcom outputs them in a wrong combination. If diesel has the same config as petrol, 3 relays for 4 speeds, crazy design but it works.

Registered
Meriva A 2006 Z17DTH has 3 engine cooling options:
  • no AC, two cooling fans, both two speeds and using a total of 3 relays, no fan resistor block
  • with AC and no socket trailer, 4 relays, 4 speeds, with fan resistor block, one fan
  • with AC and socket trailer, two fans, each with resistor block, 4 relays and crazy amount of fan speeds. Probably engine needs precise temperature control when pulling a caravan or so.
Diesels fans resistor blocks cannot be purchase separately.

Which flavor is yours?

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Diesel with AC and only 1 fan.

Registered
So its option 2. If you have a test light, you don鈥檛 need opcom to test all speeds. Do you wanna try? I can upload a diagram.

Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have looked on OpCom and can see the fan control 1 and 2 switching from Inactive to Active if I have the AC on and can hear the fan kicking in and out so it looks like that is all working as it should.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts