Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had My Cavalier, the headlights were appauling. Not as bad as they are in the Omega, but they were bad.

So, I fitted a loom from the headlight connectpr, that had a relay with a direct feed from the battery.

This improved the headlights no end.

Before I fit something similar to the Omega;

This is going to confuse the hell out of the check control, and dont want to have to keep clicking R to supress the Check HeadLight message on the MID.

Is there a way round it, for instance, putting a resistor inline with the relay?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Replace the headlight earth wiring only.....and check the main engine earth loom to.

Makes a difference.

Also clean the headlights well, you may need to wet and dry them and then T-cut them to get them nice and clear again.

C

·
0 Posts
I cleaned mine with brasso. Never tried wet and dry though.
130/100 watt bulbs improved it just a little too :bust:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The sensors indirectly measure the current through the bulbs.
You could fit 2.2 Ohm 60W resistors to keep the sensors happy, but you'll draw 5A through each one, which could defeat the object.

Try upgrading earths first as Mark said.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I had in mind was something like this,

then the +12v for the headlights would come direct from the battery, and would be switched by the normal headlamp switch via the relay (I would use an inline fuse to preotect the circuit).

Can I use a resistor on the headlamp loom side of the circuit to trick the check control?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hillper said:
The sensors indirectly measure the current through the bulbs.
You could fit 2.2 Ohm 60W resistors to keep the sensors happy, but you'll draw 5A through each one, which could defeat the object.

Try upgrading earths first as Mark said.
You can do it with the relay and resistor, but it's not an elegant or efficient solution.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
where are the earths earted to? ive seen the connection on the back of the bulb. does this just require a larger cable running from it?

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
I'm not in the habit of driving my Meega rapidly in the dark! And the day I feel the need, I'll bolt a pair of super oscars to it!!!
Omega lights are inherently bad.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
kev25v6 said:
they may be bad but they are better than a calibra
A bad case of the piles is better than a Calibre:lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
where does the wiring run along from the o/s light. the wiring seems to go into the headlight behind the rubber cover. how does the better earth help with the lights anyway?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
The earth is a bit remote and has to carry the juice of all the lights in the lamp unit.

So remove some of the I2R losses and away you go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
The earth is a bit remote and has to carry the juice of all the lights in the lamp unit.

So remove some of the I2R losses and away you go.
Oh I love this group, wish I'd found it years ago. The headlights on my 1996 are poor and the glass looks like it's gone cloudy/a bit yellow. looks like someone has been there already with a panscrub, also looks like there is a film of laquer over them. I was intrigued by the wet and dry/brasso suggestion. Has anyone tried this with success? I am sure going to look at the earth thing. Thanks again.:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi i kmow on ebay there is a company selling upgrade headlights with black inserts that look like face lift models lights gonna try some my self at some point dont know if this is any help

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Projector headligts off a mini facelift, and +50's

Other than HID's, you dont get much better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts