Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is about to update their Windows 10 computer to the latest 2004 version then be aware that as part of the process it will wipe all your tabs and probably history too if you are using the Microsoft Edge browser, as I have just found out!!!
It is a recognised issue that has been around since at least 2016 with no fix that appears to work for everyone.
I have lost 82 open tabs.
Could have been worse on my other laptop I usually run with 286 open tabs.

If you can export or at least take a copy of your session data so you don't have to spend a few hours revisiting every site to get them all back.

Mods - please don't stick this in the computer section, nobody is likely to read it there.

·
Premium Member
11,371 Posts
I only have one laptop with Windows 10 on it, I'm running Windows 7 on the other and that will be going on that Win10 laptop when I get round to it.

·
Likes this.
11,138 Posts
I only have one laptop with Windows 10 on it, I'm running Windows 7 on the other and that will be going on that Win10 laptop when I get round to it.
I'd be a bit careful about Windows 7 now, they're not even releasing security updates for it any more, so I wouldn't be making any card payments or doing anything like online banking on a Windows 7 PC any more.

·
Likes this.
11,138 Posts
If anyone is about to update their Windows 10 computer to the latest 2004 version then be aware that as part of the process it will wipe all your tabs and probably history too if you are using the Microsoft Edge browser, as I have just found out!!!
It is a recognised issue that has been around since at least 2016 with no fix that appears to work for everyone.
I have lost 82 open tabs.
Could have been worse on my other laptop I usually run with 286 open tabs.

If you can export or at least take a copy of your session data so you don't have to spend a few hours revisiting every site to get them all back.

Mods - please don't stick this in the computer section, nobody is likely to read it there.
Genuine question, how on earth can you cope with 286 open tabs? And what is the actual point and advantage over doing that versus storing the URLs as favourites/bookmarks?

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just the way I like to work. They are split into 6 groups using a tab manager so I have one for all my banking apps, one for all the car forums I visit etc. Then another extension colour codes them so I can whiz through them and find something faster than looking through favourites then opening it. I just like to see things when I am looking for something rather than looking through a long list of URLs.

·
Likes this.
11,138 Posts
Just the way I like to work. They are split into 6 groups using a tab manager so I have one for all my banking apps, one for all the car forums I visit etc. Then another extension colour codes them so I can whiz through them and find something faster than looking through favourites then opening it. I just like to see things when I am looking for something rather than looking through a long list of URLs.
Fair enough :)

Just goes to show there's so many different ways to achieve basically the same thing I guess. I get annoyed with too many tabs open on browsers :LOL:

But then again I have lots of windows of our ERP system at work open at any one time, and for some people at work they find that too confusing - but I prefer it so I can flip back and forth if I'm doing a few jobs all at once :)

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,059 Posts
I generally use lots of bookmarks and folders for work stuff.

But the browser on my phone has countless tabs open.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
My laptop on windows 10 updated itself earlier this week, and the next morning it tried to make me use Edge instead of Google Chrome. I'm so used to using Chrome that I stuck with it, I don't like machines telling me what's best for me!

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I am in work (not done any of that since January though) I have two very large 27" screens and loads of stuff open all the time so I can whizz back and fore between them. Again it is just me liking to see what I have rather than having to go and look for things.

·
Premium Member
15,125 Posts
My laptop on windows 10 updated itself earlier this week, and the next morning it tried to make me use Edge instead of Google Chrome. I'm so used to using Chrome that I stuck with it, I don't like machines telling me what's best for me!
I now have the same issue with "Edge", I also have chrome on my laptop with 10 & happy with it, so I'm not changing, won't use it unless I have to.

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Edge is basically Chrome now anyway.
I like it since they changed to the chromium engine, before that Edge was dire.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Hows it going with that Pace maker
Not got to that stage yet thanks, I've got enough health problems without needing one of them!
I see my laptop is now wanting to schedule a restart for yet more updates!

·
Super Moderator
14,452 Posts
i may have been a victim of this, but i never ever used edge on my pc and it was windows 7 upgraded to windows 10,

me pc did an update thursday night, friday morning i couldn,t sign in with pin or password, tried everything we know, couldn,t even get into safe mode to boot it from administrator, so had to reformat it, not a problem has i only have to sort passwords for forums/sites again, on a plus not me 16 year old pc is like new :):):)

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the upside the 2004 update is quite good, my laptop is noticeably whizzier which is good considering my Acer laptop doesn't even officially run W10 and needs a lot of fernangling to get the drivers sorted.
I'm still dual booting on it with Vista but find myself using W10 more and more after it was forced on me on my works PC and laptop.

·
Worn Out Member
6,417 Posts
Mine's insisting i do the update now,so decided i have to get it done as the the W10 old version's support is ending soon.
I don't use Edge so that's not a problem, but it has already uninstalled the virtual machine player as not compatible with the 2004 W10,so no Global TIS etc until i get the update finished and try and figure a way to get a VM running again :censored: :mad:

Reactions: andy_v

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's messed my graphics up big time, lucky I'm not epileptic otherwise I'd be in constant seizures.

·
Worn Out Member
6,417 Posts
Well progress, at least i've not lost anything major i can spot,
Windows gives warnings about the EPC database but it seems to be ok,
tried the latest VM player and it doesn't work,loads of messages about changing things in the bios,
so best left alone i reckon.
Loaded the old VM that it said wouldn't be compatible and despite a few warnings it seems to work ok,
so fingers crossed and i'll see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts