Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These bulbs that (I believe) you can get that exceed the normal wattage, and as such are classed as 'illegal'...but how is it Policed?

Is it MOT time that will find them or will Mr Plod pull you and use some sort of meter on them?

Always wondered this.

C

·
0 Posts
I've had them for years with no problems.
Dipped beam - still beam set, so don't blind anyone, and pass mot.
Main beam - used when you wouldn't blind anyone anyway, main beam blinds at normal wattage, so no difference there.
Had my old cav behind me with 130/100 bulbs, headlights looked different - brighter, but not really dazzling, certainly nothing like some of these modern cars with HID (I presume?) headlights. Some of them are terrible.

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
CallyT said:
Had my old cav behind me with 130/100 bulbs, headlights looked different - brighter, but not really dazzling, certainly nothing like some of these modern cars with HID (I presume?) headlights. Some of them are terrible.
Hoe very true about the HID's :Cool2:

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
MadOnVaux! said:
These bulbs that (I believe) you can get that exceed the normal wattage, and as such are classed as 'illegal'...but how is it Policed?

Is it MOT time that will find them or will Mr Plod pull you and use some sort of meter on them?

Always wondered this.
They get the power by increasing the size of the filaments. This is not a problem with 55/100 bulbs as the dipped beam has not changed and main beam is irrelevant.

When larger dip beam filaments are used in E marked headlight units it takes the beam pattern out of specification, usually with a 'fuzzier' cut off, so is strictly speaking illegal.

As long as they are then realligned properly so they do not dazzle then, as mentioned above, there will be no problem with tests or the police as it is the dipped beam dazzle they are rightly concerned about.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Plod will ask to remove bulb and check it (wattage is usually written on it) thats all they do AFAIK there is no meter to test I dont think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts