Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello people, does anyone know of any good polish/wax etc that i can try to make my red meg gleam and last, it has really suffered over the winter.

i have tried auto glym, but thats it. any ideas??

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've always found red an absolute bugger to get shiny once dull....I was able to get my 1988 BMW 750 all nice and shiny again with the multi-stage mcquiare (spelling) system....I bought it at Carnoisseur...Really good stuff...I did it over a weekend, first wash thoroughly outside, then dry off and start the polishing in the garage....Make certain your partner is ready to massage you in the evening, you'll need it :)

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
t-cut do "color fast" stuff (about 9 quid at halfords) - you need to get one close to the colour of your car (it contains pigments which will help with the colour). I've used it on cars I've had - do a good wash with auto glym, then this stuff one week, next week wash and wax using the auto glym "super resin polish" - comes up quite nicely.

Others may be able to give pointers to better options though!

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Beware, super resin polish has almost no wax in it....you need to use the high gloss to add a protective wax coat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Mer on all my vehicles. It is easy to apply and will remove road film quite easily and the black marks associated with rain water coming off caravan roofs.

Let the mer dry to a white surface and then use a cloth to polish to shiny. Once the first coat is on, you can put more coats on to deepen the shine. I usually do mine twice a year, spring and autumn and it keeps them very clean and the rain water always forms those lovely big drops that slide off very easily when you start to move the car.

I know it is expensive but the 3 litre one is the most economical at about £30.00 for the bottle but it goes a long way and lasts a long time.:lmao:

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Avoid T-Cut like the bird flu!!! Not good for red paint

Try a compound restorer like R2, then finish with Carnuba soft gelatine type wax

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I didn't mean the normal "one bottle does all colours" t-cut, this is colour restorer stuff (different colours to match different shades, even dark red and light red options etc)

However pro or semi-pro stuff is always going to be better than the stuff foisted onto consumers!

·
Registered
367 Posts
sounds2k said:
I didn't mean the normal "one bottle does all colours" t-cut, this is colour restorer stuff (different colours to match different shades, even dark red and light red options etc)
Tried it on my eldest daughters Punto (Red) its :turd, use compound instead, spent bloody ages on it and though it was pretty badly faded (it was actually pink all over :lmao:) it looked ok in the shade but crap in daylight :grrr

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mr. Turtle's pretty good.
You see so many cars that have been Fairy-liquidised, with gleeful owners declaring how much they've saved.
But after two years the car's aged fifteen.
Washing with a sponge takes all your protection off.
So always use a wax shampoo.
And waxing the front end after every shampoo stops the flies sticking and makes your next wash a LOT easier.
I try to do a full body wax every two or three washes.
And as for car washes ....
Paint's definitely one of those look after it and it'll look after you items.
Here ends today's sermon.
;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Omega-amego said:
Mr. Turtle's pretty good.
You see so many cars that have been Fairy-liquidised, with gleeful owners declaring how much they've saved.
But after two years the car's aged fifteen.
Washing with a sponge takes all your protection off.
So always use a wax shampoo.
And waxing the front end after every shampoo stops the flies sticking and makes your next wash a LOT easier.
I try to do a full body wax every two or three washes.
And as for car washes ....
Paint's definitely one of those look after it and it'll look after you items.
Here ends today's sermon.
;)
I never use a shampoo as this takes the wax off, just use cold water, well luke warm in the winter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Auto Addict said:
I never use a shampoo as this takes the wax off, just use cold water, well luke warm in the winter.
Yeah, that's cool if you wash every day - and even then, mechanical abrasion'll take the wax off (albeit more slowly).
But for low-frequency washers, I think you gotta use something a little unkinder.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Omega-amego said:
Yeah, that's cool if you wash every day - and even then, mechanical abrasion'll take the wax off (albeit more slowly).
But for low-frequency washers, I think you gotta use something a little unkinder.
I try to wash the car a least once a week.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for your input, i think i will give it a go with mer and i have bought some stuff of ebay. if its any good i will post a pic of the result.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to close this - got it nice and shiny with some stuff of ebay
auto glym bumper care on plastic and wonder wheels on, well the wheels.:Cool2: not bad for a 99

Attachments

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
looks like you got what you wanted!

Very nice ... then again red's my favourite colour, shame there doesn't seem to be any elites in that colour ...

What did you buy off fleabay to wash it with, I have found wonder wheels to be very good too ...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i took it to a jet wash, i tend to get bored when i wash and wax all by hand. the wax from ebay was item no 8044759605

·
Registered
22 Posts
i bought one of the flash (tm) car wash kits you stick on the end of your hosepipe(the one in the garden!!!!!).works well but every month hit the 6 program jet wash at the local garage..

car still looks shiny and does the water droplet thing.

p.s. i always always use rainx on my windscreen and rear window it is excellent and offers safety aswell as cleaner windows, less glare blah blah blah....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I find G3 excellent for restoring and G10 for a glass lke finish then I protect it with zymol polish. Smells so good I don't know whether to use it on the car or drink it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts