Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at a set of lights on the way to work this morning and it just cut out, it had been making awful knocking noises since sunday and now it just won't start. RAC man said it looks like the engine has siezed.

Sooo...how much am i looking at to replace the engine at a garage...

or...how much is an R reg Omega 2.5 Reflection (140k miles) worth with a buggered engine...but 4 new tyres and just passed it's MOT? there is also a slight grinding from the diff.

Thanx

Andy

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Knocking noises - big ends? Big ends go due to oil lack and that will also cause an engine to sieze

Never ignore knocking and never run out of oil, two handy tips :lmao:

I'd have thought an engine could be picked up for a couple of hundred quid and they'd probably charge you a few hundred to drop it in. How handy are you with a spanner?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not very...i have friends who are good with mechanical stuff, but don't really want to depend on them for a job this big. I think it's best i take it to a garage, unless i sell it as it is and get a new car...would have to be something boring though :(

Andy

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I think you'd really struggle to sell it as it is. Changing an engine isn't as bad as you might think. All you really need to do is unplug all the electrical connection (remember where they go!), disconnect pipework for cooling and then just nuts and bolts for the exhaust/mounts etc. Can be done in a weekend no problem if you've got a hoist. You're a bit far from me but I'm sure someone would lend a hand, if not then you pay petrol and I'll come join the fun

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...does sound tempting to give it a go. I'll have a word with my mechanic mate and see if he can find me an engine...so tempting to put a 3.0 one in hehe :p

Thanx for offering your assistance too, you guys on this forum are very friendly :p i'll keep you posted on what i decide to do.

Andy

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I would if I were you, it's not that bad - a lot easier if you have a hoist and friends to help with dropping it in

No prob about the offer and hope you source an engine of some variety, will a 5.7L chevy fit? :lmao:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really shouldn't have mentioned putting a Chevy in it! lol. i'm actually saving for a 3rd gen Camaro at the moment (or i was until this happened lol)

Andy

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Now THAT'S a good idea - get the Camaro and we'll drop that engine in the Omega - or better still, scrap the Omega and keep the Camaro!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe yeah, a Camaro is what i really want. I should never have bought an Omega...but the thought of all that RWD fun tempted me lol. I might get the Omega working again and sell it or p/x for a 406 TD so i can save up without putting £30 in the tank every week...plus i won't be tempted to light the tyres up in a diesel...I'll wait for the Camaro for that ;)

Andy

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
"I should never have bought an Omega"
You don't know how many times I've said that over the past fortnight!

Camaros are cracking value for money although I'd always be thinking about a Corvette if I got one!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do like my Omega, but there are too many things to go wrong on modern cars with all the engine management and stuff. I just want something simple lol.

Yeah a Corvette would be nice but i love the 3rd gen camaro shape...would have to have t-tops of course...seen them for less than £2k i see it as an investment too.

Andy

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Agreed - something without 'intelligence' would be much more fun.

One heck of a bargain, they simply don't hold value over here - if you get one then you are going to have to make a trip to Derby!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You won't believe this. but because my car is on the road facing the wrong way down the hill (i live on a dual carraige way and the rac guy couldn't get it on the drive) my neighbour has reported it to the police as being dumped...had she not noticed it sitting on the drive next door for the last year?!

Andy

R

·
0 Posts
Report her for prostitution - Well obviously she spends a lot of her time hanging around on streets looking for other peoples business:lmao:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha yeah good idea.

By the way i found out last night that the engine might not have seised. we pushed it up the hill to get it onto the drive and then the windows wouldn't go back up as the battery had died...so i put jump leads from my dads car on it just to get the windows up and thought i try starting it just in case...it almost started...turned over thats for sure...but then acted as if the battery was dead. Gonna try jumping it off my mates V8 Discovery tonight.

So yeah god knows whats wrong with it! i just took the RAC guys word for it that it had seised.

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts