Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

I Need Help Fixing A Parasitic Draw

[Astra Mk5/H] [04-09] 
2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  andy_v 
#1 ·
My battery is flat each morning. I have detected a parasitic draw with my multi-meter. It's reading .72A. I disconnected each fuse and rechecked the draw. Removing fuse No. 35 reduced the draw from .72A to .32A.

This is the fuse for the "Infotainment System" according to http://fusesdiagram.com/opel-vauxhall/fuse-box-diagram-astra-h.html

What should I do next?

Thank you.

Astra 1.4 Petrol 5dr 2005 (Breeze)

#3 ·
Yes, everything appears to be completely 'off'.
Sometimes the car isn't dead in a morning if I lock it the night before only with a single press to the lock button. Double locking is sure to give it a dead battery the following day. Randomly one night the hazards were flashing, not sure if it was a silent alarm being triggered, due to only being single locked.

#6 ·
My first question would be how are you checking for amp draw. Are you checking at the battery in series with the positive or negative lead or are you using an inductive amp clamp around one of the battery leads?
The car needs to switched off, locked ( lock the bonnet catch manualy although the bonnet is open so the car thinks its closed).Leave the vehicle for at least 40 minutes to allow all the ECU's to power down before you check for draw. After that time everything should have shut down and you can check.
Bear in mind that with the modern day vehicle if you pull and replace fuses you are likely to reawaken control modules or ECU's giving you more drain. Idealy you need to check each live fuse for a voltage drop across the two pins to show there is current flowing. Not the easiest of things to do if you haven't got a dedicated tester but is the preferred method nowadays

#7 ·
I dis-attached the battery negative lead to run in series with the multi meter.
I will check again, but after leaving the car for 40 minutes. I must remember the bonnet latch trick.
The fuses don't seem to have any contact points on them in which I can use my multi-meter so I felt that I had no choice but to do it the old way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.